Sign in to follow this  
knj

dDo is now in open beta. Have fun!

Yeah, I beta tested that along with a couple guys in here. It really is an amazing app, extremely powerful and fast.

Absolutely recommended so support the guys and buy it, they single handedly came out with nDo and dDo which are apps that really makes our lifes easier.

I didn't realize how powerful nDo2 is until I actually sit down and watch this entire video:

Before I only really used it as a heightmap -> normal map tool, like crazybump, but that is only the surface what nDo2 can do. I wont be modeling any more high polies to bake on textures I can tell you that.

' timestamp='1354041770' post='317746']

I didn't realize how powerful nDo2 is until I actually sit down and watch this entire video:

Before I only really used it as a heightmap -> normal map tool, like crazybump, but that is only the surface what nDo2 can do. I wont be modeling any more high polies to bake on textures I can tell you that.

nDO doesn't solve issues with tangent space baking though, so it's not a solve all solution :)

great for tiling textures tho!

dDO looks like it can work fine with both, although i'd love to see how it reacts to a massive tangent inversion going straight through a normal map.

That's the thing, I got so fed up with the way we make our art, it's 2012 and we still don't have a solution for tangent space shading mismatches between baker and render, unless your engine supports the baker you are using, and even then, the whole philosophy behind it, you are using your normal map shading to fight against smoothing groups shading / tangent space errors. Fuck that.

Way I see things going is, we wither use object space normal maps, stick with tilling textures, or both.

Yeah i wish i could figure out how to use object space in cryengine :P doesn't seem to want to work right most of the time. I've generally just use a regular normal map and figtht the tangent space errors on the low polys smoothing groups... most of my levels i made in Nexuiz were all using one smoothing group throughout, got to learn a lot on how normal maps hate you for doing that :)

' timestamp='1354043659' post='317752']

That's the thing, I got so fed up with the way we make our art, it's 2012 and we still don't have a solution for tangent space shading mismatches between baker and render, unless your engine supports the baker you are using, and even then, the whole philosophy behind it, you are using your normal map shading to fight against smoothing groups shading / tangent space errors. Fuck that.

Way I see things going is, we wither use object space normal maps, stick with tilling textures, or both.

Isn't that what this http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108744 is aiming to fix?

Isn't that what this http://www.polycount...ad.php?t=108744 is aiming to fix?

No, not fix, that app tries to go around the problem. You bake your normal as object space and that app will render the tangent space version of it for the engine you are working, which is a good idea but I would rather directly just use the xNormal plugin for the engine Im using. (If such plugin exists, I know we had one at crytek)

' timestamp='1354046834' post='317759']

Isn't that what this http://www.polycount...ad.php?t=108744 is aiming to fix?

No, not fix, that app tries to go around the problem. You bake your normal as object space and that app will render the tangent space version of it for the engine you are working, which is a good idea but I would rather directly just use the xNormal plugin for the engine Im using. (If such plugin exists, I know we had one at crytek)

Does this have CryENGINE 3 support?