kikette

[2D] Texture work

I think I'll probably delete them (watermarks), I really hate to do that ='(

Thanks for your comment ^^ I'm uploading every image.

Edited by kikette

For the alternate pattern, are you overlaying a second blue layer with stroke+outer glow effects? Because there are a few orange-y artifacts(?) here and there (eg: third from right, second-last row)

Maybe it's for dirt, but a bit too rust color for that kind of material imo; and more than that there are other stains (see: second square, first row; third square, middle) that look like highlighter ink :D wondering if those are caused by the effects applied on the blue checkers, intentional etc.

86f4c4f7cfada264d287433e0db3b.jpg

Edited by blackdog

Hey blackdog, you're right ; There is some color artifact because I use a color layer to color some of my dirt.. but sometime, I forget to make changes in all layer so...

But this isn't really important, because in game, it's completly invisible =)

About that ; Here's a render. Diffuse + spec.

03c950da496c2442ac64e88aa120d.jpg

76e7319c7a72b1cca40e3954d6ed0.jpg

Hey blackdog, you're right [...]

The result is bellissimo :)

Don't want to stress you out, but in the first shot you can notice the "highlighter marker" stain on the first white checker on the bottom. But yeah, I'm convinced that no player will take notice.

Edited by blackdog

Daily new texture. This time a plaster wall. I tried to make a second one with wooden plate to create some relief. I'll probably use these two as a base for something more colorful since they're really grey =l

6a41045e5b04608ec43892e9ba995.jpg

e6cb42fab08119c740918821d79f7.jpg

2881bf3311b32d9f94f66905c5347.jpg

Edited by kikette

man, if only you could rock a bad ass normal map to go with it :)

your style reminds me a lot of the Archer backgrounds, which is kinda weird. Theres large brush strokes but the fine detail almost overlayed.

"Archer" ? What is that ? =)

About the brush stroke, I tried to add some "crisp" to my material but it could be done easily better I think. I'll try something different the next time ;)

Maybe i was wrong but it just reminded of it

they have a style they use on their background scenes which i really like... you really gotta see more of it though, especially their city scenes, where its more noticeable.

archer-courtesy-of-fx-ocelot_528_poster.png

i don't think your textures are very realistic but they are very stylistic, which can be better (depending on the project). I'd say keep rocking that awesome style but try to dive into more realistic if you can... you'll be easier to hire for most employers that way. In other words, you don't want your art style to limit what projects you could work on.

Edited by Kedhrin

Wich part of my work should be more realistic ? The material himself or the composition ? I should add more photo grain ?

Thanks for this feedback =)

the biggest downfall in your work thats making it go from stylistic to realistic is the fact its easy to see your brush strokes/shapes. Some of your textures, like the tiled floor, are fine while others, (your wood) has a very hand painted look to them.

i think minimizing the apperance of brush strokes and relying more on photo reference overlays will help you get away from that look (if you want to).

In my opinion, this is why his textures are so cool. Don't change that, this handpainted style is 10 times more interesting than basic photo-realistic textures.

Thanks Aniki =) Kedhrin, I agree with what you said about the employers and this is why I think that I could work these 2 different ways =) For the school project I prefer to keep my stylisation (It's a more sensitive and personal touch after all ) but I've 2 other projects with some Mapcore members so I'll probably make something more realistic if it could helps for my futur ^^