Level Design Inspiration Photo Blog

AlexM

Hey guys. I made a small blog which basically posts images that are inspirational for level design. Primarily real world stuff. Was originally just for me to collect and categorize images for myself but I though mapcore might be interested.

Japan urban areas are really dense and full of great shots for tight CS type levels. I have a lot of photos to go through.

If anyone else would like to contribute any images it would also be greatly appreciated. I try to guarantee at least one new image a day assuming I have the material.

http://leveldesigninspirationmachine.tumblr.com/

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to post an update. I've taken a selection from the thousands of photos I've taken form living in Japan and will be posting them up over the next 20 days on the page.

I'm telling you. Urban areas in Japan are amazing for level design inspiration. Especially if you are looking for dystopian influences,

I have tons of ref pics from games, if you could make a nice website engine with images taging then I'm in! :)

I can certainly give you access to the existing tumblr site. That would be great if other mapcorians would like to post images on the blog :) I can enable submissions by other people via the submit page.

I'm hesitant to switch from tumblr just because it can handle a heavy load of images nicely, has tagging, and a great queuing submission system.

I can also make pages in Tumblr which can essentially categorize images by tag. Of course you can also search by tag as well.

I've begun the process of going through the existing images and tagging them. Hopefully will be done by the weekend.

Current tags I'm using:

#urban #rural #japan #decay #dystopian

Sounds good man, also I would love to see this becoming open to others who want to contribute.

You think you can make the website being scroll only? It's really annoying having to click the "older" button every time I want to see new images, would be awesome if it was one continuous scroll.

Infinite scrolling is enabled! Please test it out and let me know if it works for you. I had to inject some javascript into the page to do it.

Also submissions are now live. Make sure to send me your name and website if you plan to post often so I can add it to the about section.

http://leveldesignin...mblr.com/submit

Also Algor, I think I might be able to get something similar to that on this page. I'll play around and see what I can do. As such you might see the layout change a bit over the next couple days.

EDIT: If you want a more stacked view of the images you can use this page for now. Working on figuring out a way to do it better. http://leveldesigninspirationmachine.tumblr.com/archive

Edited by AlexM