Oculus Rift

syver

I have the 1st generation of Oculus, and I find it impressive, but I can't play more than 5-10 mins without getting dizzy. I really hope they fix that for the consumer version.

In response to my video above - Microsoft will allow users to stream Xbox One games to their Windows 10 PC's and then using the Rift, sit in a virtual lounge and play the game from there....

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/microsoft-is-scared-of-sony-s-morpheus-1296596

I have the 1st generation of Oculus, and I find it impressive, but I can't play more than 5-10 mins without getting dizzy. I really hope they fix that for the consumer version.

​The 1st generation one is quite blocky isn't it. Personally I played HL2 or quite a while and tried a few demos on it and didn't get any headaches or dizziness. A friend of mine has the 2nd generation one and he said it was much better. I think the consumer version has a slightly higher res, so hopefully it won't be too bad for those who do get headaches and dizziness. 

What the fuck are they smoking in MS?? Who wants to play a simulation of them playing in their living room? WTF.

Got linked the first "advert" earlier this afternoon... Valve is right (as Faliszek was saying at the Rezzed talk): how do you market this things? This is a new concept, you can't sell it through a standard trailer. To me this stuff doesn't make me want to buy it. And considering they have behind the godzillions of dollars provided by facebook, this stuff is really poor and amateurish.

Right now I'd bet on Oculus to flop, they were even first on the market and have allowed Valve to surpass them.

It's not a super bad idea in theory because you can play on a super large screen inside the Rift, even an virtual IMAX screen if you want so but i don't think the screen resolution and comfort will be quite there yet on the first consumer version.

The issue is really that you're playing a console game when you probably have monitor in front of you that will be larger than the virtual tv, which is a little absurd.  I'd be really interested in being able to virtualize multiple monitors though, that's where I see things going.  

Then again, you still look super lame doing this stuff.  Might as well look lame doing something really cool that you cannot do with normal displays

Edited by DrywallDreams

MS is the only company that has a share of FB, hell how can't they get an agreement to make them support XOne?

​I don't think them getting it supported on the XBOne is the issue. The issue is that the console isn't powerful enough to run games at the required resolution with a good framerate. Let alone rendering a scene twice!

• 3 months later...

I put together a small demo (it is VR exclusive): 

Notes:

HMD and a controller are not optional!

Controls:
Left stick to move the character,
Right Stick to move the torch,
A (bottom face button) to jump,
Y (top face button) to leave a Mark,
B (right face button) to warp to said Mark,
X (left face button) to enter game in the Menu level,
Home on keyboard to restart level,
End on keyboard to go to Menu level.

Oculus Share app page:

https://share.oculus.com/app/mythos-of-the-world-axis

Edited by AtsEst

• 3 months later...

Still not entirely certain if I'll get this one or a PS VR, or if I'll just end up skipping it entirely this year :v

PS VR won't have PC support (and access to all the ridiculous game jam shit that'll be the most fun) and the hardware is obviously a lot more limited compared to a good PC, but getting the Rift basically means that I'll have to buy a new PC as well, and then it'll probably be closer to $1500 for the entire thing.

I am surprised that people thought it would be a lot cheaper than $599 though, seemed pretty clear that the early adopters would always have to pay a fairly high price to get in, would be wonderful if it was cheaper tho :)