Oculus Rift

syver

Really? I think it's been overhyped a lot, and wasn't super impressed the times I've tried it. It's still cool and all, but I think it will take a couple of iterations before it's there.

Sure, but it's hard not to think about it as the future of gaming... Just picture the tech in 2-5 years :)

Oculus VR has secured a further $75 million in investment to finalise the consumer version of its highly anticipated virtual reality head-set.

The series B round was led by Andreessen Horowitz, and featured contributions from Spark Capital, Matrix Partners and Formation 8. Marc Andreessen, founder of Netscape and the driving force behind Andreessen Horowitz, will join the Oculus VR board.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-12-13-oculus-vr-nets-USD75m-in-funding

ron-paul.gif

• 7 months later...

So did anyone here order a DK2? I received mine today. Finaly got my VR cherry popped.

I'm feeling a bit ambiguous right now. On the one hand i'm very excited having gotten my first taste of the future on the other hand it was a reality check just how much still needs to be done. For the next generation OR will look and feel like a Atari 2600.

The day started with some trouble to get the thing running but after a bit of research and messing around i finaly got it sorted.

First time walking around in VR felt strange. Made me a bit queasy. I was afraid that i could be one who suffers from motion sickness.

I got my first proper idea of VR when i tried some Cyberspace Ridge demo. Now that was something. I felt it in my belly like actualy riding a rollercoaster. I also knew then that i don't get motion sickness despite of it.

The real highlight of my first day with the Rift was giving Elite: Dangerous a try. The first time looking down on my virtual me, taking a closer look at the instruments, giving the spaceship a spin was a mind bending psychedelic experience. I only know such feelings from tripping balls and lucid dreaming.

Now for the not so good parts:

It became clear to me that VR is probably still a couple years off from becoming a proper consumer experience. The fov is too small, resolution too low, fiddling around with the settings and cables is a pain. It gets hot under the mask. The lenses are very delicate. Get a bit of sweat and grease on it and the experience is spoiled. I find myself cleaning them all the time.

Will keep you up to date with more experiences soon.

Edited by Steppenwolf

I work with VR every day, and I think the biggest downside to it so far is resolution. It really lets it down. I've tried Morpheus (obviously!) and Oculus, and I think the quality of the DK2 is better than the current Morpheus prototype. But only slightly better.

I also hope more games are developed around the idea of VR. Elite is a perfect game for it, tried a bit today and it's an awesome experience. I would love to see some kind of first person astronaut game too, where you get to fly around a shuttle or a space station exterior, left thumbstick controlling your movement, right thumbstick controlling your pitch/yaw etc. Imagine flying in one of these bad boys, perfect VR game!

astronaut_in_space..jpg

Sure, it's not completely there yet but come on! It's so close you can almost smell it...

For all of use who grew up during the 80s-90s, that's like the holy grail :D

There are a few hurdles left like with every new tech at the beginning and like PogoP I also think the resolution is the biggest technical problem atm but you know that this is going to be fixed real soon. Gameplay is a bit more challenging but same thing, just give it a little time and we'll get there soon enough!

I really have a hard time not getting excited by the prospect of the whole thing...

VR is here to stay now imo. Even should OR, Morpheus etc. flop on the market i think it has inspired enough enthusiast already who will stay on the ball. But i really don't think anymore that 2015 will be the big year for VR as i expected. Ther's just too many things that need to get sorted first.

The real breakthrough will come when ther's small 120hz 4k screens (perhaps one for each eye even, GPU's that can render it comfortable, low latence cable free solution (something that perhaps needs to be invented first), optical solution that adjust with no effort,a fov that's at least close to real life and finaly an augmented reality component to it (see representation of your actual body, ability to switch between real life and VR without having to take the thing off each time). Maybe that will take another 10 years but of course there will be a lot inbetween that will excite those of us who care about it.