syver

Oculus Rift

http://www.oculusvr.com/

Have anyone here tried this? I read some previews and most of it sounds pretty good, except for one guy who experienced nausea and dizziness (!) while using it. Hawken is supposed to release with support for this device. Would be really cool to create something in UDK then be able to "be" there if this works as well as they say. I'm always skeptical of this kind of hardware, so that's why I'm making this thread. Any thoughts?

i've been against 3d tvs because i thought they were gimmicky, but this thing may actually be the real deal. while i think this may still be a prototypical version, it's definitely going in the right direction. maybe in a few years we'll have these things replace monitors... coupled with peregrine like interfaces for keyboard/mouse we might not need any periphials for the pc anymore. which would be really cool. but i'll admit the future may not be as close to or as idealistic as that.

I think this is great, but as you mention in the OP I've also read that people who usually get a little nauseous if there's a movie with a first person camera view then you also get nauseous if you use this.

sweet!

skjalg: i'm guessing it's the same thing for people who are liable to nausea when playing in engines like source engine.

i've more or less decided to buy the dev kit. I think the price is pretty fair and it would be worth the price anyway considering the potential awesomeness.

i've heard a podcast with a guy who tried it with the doom demo and he was basicly praising it for half an hour.

do you have an url for that (podcast)?

Edited by csyver

You can't get much better endorsements than those in the kickstarter video and blog posts of other folks who have tried it say more or the less the same: it's awesome and you should stop modelling trees and get started on that virtual-reality sex-scene right now.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game

Shit looks pretty dope, I wont deny it, it seems this is it and they're actually creating proper VR glasses this time around. Project was backed, and they're selling it out to devs already.

We purchased an sdk, hopefully we get one soon :( ive had a raging hard on for vr for ages, bought so many glasses and head tracking dildo things over the years... i know this wont be the best, but if it makes a splash in the consumer market it can really tip things off.

I'm also waiting for the devkit which should be shipped around march-april (?). Have anyone here tried it? Would like to know how good/bad the color reproduction and contrast is. So far I've heard that some of the technical "deficiencies" can be overlooked because of the immersive nature of it.

I'm guessing (hoping) UDK will support it soon. I also can't wait to try this with Mirror's Edge. Oculus VR + Mirror's Edge 2 + This would be cool. :)

Edited by csyver