NeilJones313

Neil Jones -- 3D Environment Artist

I'm Neil Jones a I'm a 3D modeler who specializes in creating beautiful, game-ready environments. I have been studying in the field for nearly seven years, developing projects with Chrysler and Vectorform Gamelabs. My concepts have also been featured on IGN, the number one online source for interactive entertainment, and Artistik Magazine, a creative magazine that showcases art of all kind. I am a 3D modeler, texture artist, and overall creative thinker. Using skills in 3Ds Max, Photoshop, and After Effects to create emotion through art.

Check out my portfolio www.Neil3D.com for some examples of my work. Send me a PM or an email at [email protected] if you are interested. Thank you for looking!

www.Neil3D.com

BigBuilding.jpg

My first thought when visiting the site was that it was hard to read the category titles. I would have the font changed. Some of the text overlaps as well. The "y" in fantasy overlaps part of the word environment, same with the "p" in workshop.

I believe this was mentioned in some other portfolio critiques as well, but you should show some of your models in a game engine. This shows you know the pipeline of chosen engine, which is very important.

Id make your email on the bottom right a link, just so its easier for people. The less work people have to do the better.

I currently have your website opened in a tab which im sure many people will also do. All i see is "Neil, Jones, Neil Jones..."

I would consider changing this, something like "Neil Jones Environment Artist." Of course that might not really fit in the limited space of a tab so you might have to consider another title or get creative with it.

Other then that the layout and design is simple which is nice. Your title and your name is clear and present on all pages.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

I like your contents.

On the website side, I don't know your limitations (I see you are using Carbonmade) but for the homepage i wouldn't split the picture up and have a menu coming to the side from undeneath it.

I wouldn't have a section up if it is "wip", put that up when it's ready (and here would come in handy the chance to have a menu like i explained above).

Lastly, pictures seems a bit compressed, it's important for the page to load fast, but i think you could split the screens in 2-3 pieces and have less compression, balancing quality and responsiveness of the contents.

None of your environment art looks like it's in a game engine, why? This really gives me big warningsigns to be honest.. do you want to make games or just model random things?

The website layout is good and easy to navigate though, wouldn't change anything :)

IGN, the number one online source for interactive entertainment

LOL, are you a marketing person for IGN?

Thanks Pericolos0 and all my engine stuff is 2D I didnt want to put that stuff on my 3D site. But I have some stuff Im working on for that problem. I hope to find a awesome studio or indie team to work with then I can just replace everything on that site one day.

None of your environment art looks like it's in a game engine, why? This really gives me big warningsigns to be honest.. do you want to make games or just model random things?

Thanks Pericolos0 and all my engine stuff is 2D I didnt want to put that stuff on my 3D site.

Does not compute!

He was asking how did you render this? Doesn't seem like a game engine.

' timestamp='1366831257' post='330414']

Thanks Pericolos0 and all my engine stuff is 2D I didnt want to put that stuff on my 3D site.

Does not compute!

He was asking how did you render this? Doesn't seem like a game engine.

O yea going back and reading that now I don't know what I was talking about... I think I have a good mix of UDK, Unity, Marmoset, and 3DS max

Hey I just looked at yor portfolio and it's beautiful. It does seem a bit disorganized, I liked environments and there were random props thrown in to.

To build on the "in a game engine thing" your environments, with few exceptions, are not environments.

For exampe, the building at the top of this thread is super cool but it's just a single building out of context. That's common and valuable for portfolios I guess, but it would be nice to see an environment with that level of quality that is a full environment. There is the subway (kind of ugly tbh) and the sci-fi room (really pretty tbh) and the rest are environmental props.

That building is freaking awesome though, I would love to see you make that a whole village square/center kind of thing. Then I could look at it and be like "damn thats pretty."