just screwing around in photoshop...

RushTheBus

Hey all,

Its been some time since i posted here. I used to post more often back in 2004 under a different handle (forgot the password and i dont even have the same email lol). There was a guy here, The Postman (according to the members section he hasnt visited since 2007), who had been helping me out with environment art when i was a lot yonger. I muddeled around a bit in some mod work, but left most of this back in 2005 in order to finish up school and take care of real life stuff. Anyhow, i was helping my girlfriend w/ some stuff in photoshop and i figured i would just screw around for fun and see if i still possessed some of my old talent. Long story short, the below is loosely inspired by a french style farm hourse / cottage with a stucco over stone exterior circa 1930/40s. Things have changed a lot since the last time i bothered working on any environemnt art. I can't afford any 3D modeling software nor do i know how to model so there are no fancy specular or normal maps here, juse a boring diffuse. Thanks for taking the time and i enjoy looking at everyone's fine work!

http://postimage.org/image/thrps2y5t/

All the best,

Rush

Edited by RushTheBus

Hey,

Thanks for the kind words. As of right now, i don't really have any plans for it - other than to fix a few things up a bit (the stains on the ground are a bit too grainy, and i want to do somthing more w/ the brick work towards the bottom). I'm at work now, but im going to see if i can get my hands on a wacom - i had given my old one away to my cousin when she was in college as an art major.

I was thinking about making a set just for the hell of it. Like i said, this is kind of "old school" i suppose - its more or less free hand and doesn't take advantage of any of the next gen stuff. I would love to get into that end of the spectrum, but i cant justify spending 3K on 3DSM or Maya.

Again, thanks for the kind words. I'll update the topic as i progress. Any other comments and ciriticism are more than welcome.

Rush

For the sake of updating, i was just killing some time painting in some details on the stonework. The grunge is still there, the folder is just turned off at the moment. I'm a bit happier with the overall result. It may seem a bit more red than the orginal, i think thats because i forgot to properly mask off a layer or two. Anyhow, for those who care :nag:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/5pyo5

Thanks guys.

Thrik - I was looking into blender, sculptris or the XSI mod tool as starting points, just not completely sure which will be the most benificial.

Killer - I've noticed this myself, I wanted to give the stone work a bit more depth...I still need to desaturate things a bit and adjust the layers of paint that provide that contrast. Thanks for taking a look any offering you're feelings!

All the best,

Rush