Sign in to follow this  
AtsEst

Star Citizen

9 hours ago, blackdog said:

I mean, I understand the making you valute your digital possessions hence making you feel more into the game… but this is ridiculous to me.

And that's OK! :) Star Citizen is its own kind of beast entirely. CR wants to do a bunch of things haven't been done before and people love/hate/call him crazy for it. I'm not a system designer, so from a game mechanics perspective I cannot tell you why there is insurance (a sink for in-game currency could be one of them), but if you're interested in finding out more on why there is perma-death in the game at all, you can read about it here: 

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

Insurance FAQ: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12820-Insurance-FAQ-And-Update

Thanks @FrieChamp, will try to give a read at lunch break.

Yeah in-Game currency sink sounds about right and as long as you can earn it in-game I don't have critiques.

also perma-death is good, there are so many rogue-likes… my problem is with the pricing, paying that much real money for something you can, actually, probably will lose, is imo crazy.

Also I really don't like the way there's this much "micro" payments in general, I mean didn't seem was going this way when they did the kickstarter. Same with all these "spin off" games, seems like development has been spread and diverted from the original focus.

I admit I might just be getting the wrong impression, as after the kickstarter I didn't follow developments (other than what was coming from media outlets) cos at the end of the day even if was the standard $60 game I wouldn't play it: too big :D

PS: on the other hand in down for the single player campaign with the big Hollywood actors, if that's still a thing

Edited by blackdog

In other games like Elite: Dangerous it's really cheap to insure a ship. It's like pocket change really. I'm sure insurance will be very affordable like in those games. 

There are a lot of things to buy for real cash at the moment. But I'm not sure ships will be available for real cash once the game releases? I'm not really fussed about it to be honest so long as it's not an impossible grind to get a new ship in game then I'm all for microtransactions. I'd rather earn my ships by playing.

Yesterday we offered a first look at the procedural cities we are building on top of some the planets. It is basically handcrafted gameplay spaces + surroundings built with a new editor that allows you to quickly plot down streets, high buildings, industrial buildings, trenches etc. + object scattering. There is a quick look at the city editor plus procedural layouts for e.g. space stations during the QT travel in the middle if you are interested in the tech. I was sitting in the audience biting my nails and praying for no crashes. It has been a couple of stressful weeks but it is nice to see everything come together in the end (even though there is still work left to do) :) Gameplay starts at 11:30: