Sign in to follow this  
AtsEst

Star Citizen

Star Citizen brings the visceral action of piloting interstellar craft through combat and exploration to a new generation of gamers at a level of fidelity never before seen. At its core Star Citizen is a destination, not a one-off story. It's a complete universe where any number of adventures can take place, allowing players to decide their own game experience. Pick up jobs as a smuggler, pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, or enlist as a pilot, protecting the borders from outside threats. I've always wanted to create one cohesive universe that encompasses everything that made Wing Commander and Privateer / Freelancer special. A huge sandbox with a complex and deep lore allowing players to explore or play in whatever capacity they wish.

http://starcitizen.r...industries.com/

Kind of surprised this hasn't had more hype.  For those unaware, Chris Roberts is the creator of Wing Commander, Privateer, and Freelancer.  Squadron 42 is a single-player campaign ala Wing Commander, and Star Citizen is a coop/PvP/MMO style version of Privateer.  They're up to $14M in crowd funding at this point with no signs of slowing down.  Love seeing such an amazing visionary make such a strong comeback!

The only thing that's keeping me from being even more hyped is that it's not a procedural environment. I would love to get lost in space.

I'm happy someone finally can make a decent space game after years of failures. I've been checking the genre for quite a bit and not too many spectacular hits unfortunately :(

Black Prophecy was a massive failure, Jumpgate Evolution seems like it's abandonware....There's another game now called Star Conflict but it's a F2P mess so it seems. I really hope they can pull this off, I've been waiting for a game like this! :)

Edited by Chimeray

The only thing that's keeping me from being even more hyped is that it's not a procedural environment. I would love to get lost in space.

I'm happy someone finally can make a decent space game after years of failures. I've been checking the genre for quite a bit and not too many spectacular hits unfortunately :(

Black Prophecy was a massive failure, Jumpgate Evolution seems like it's abandonware....There's another game now called Star Conflict but it's a F2P mess so it seems. I really hope they can pull this off, I've been waiting for a game like this! :)

Well ther's always Eve:Online. After 10 years it's going stronger then ever. It's huge, it's hostile. I play it a lot these days. Doesn't have the direct pilot control of your spaceship tho.

Eve isn't a space combat game. It's a space spreadsheet game.

Only when you do trading and industry or deal with the logistigs of a big corp/alliance, which in itself can be quite fun tho if you're into business simulation games.

Edited by Steppenwolf

Guess I shoulda posted this in an Eve Online thread since it became sort of longer than I anticipated but we have none :P

Eve Online is a slow game that rewards patience, it doesn't help that most gameplay/tasks are sort of dull and don't have active gameplay. The combat is clicking on stuff, navigation is clicking on stuff, and pretty much everything is like that... you're sorta just managing stuff. You're a space manager not a pilot, like a commander giving out orders instead of being the guy handling the joystick of the spacecraft :P (the lack of a cockpit experience isn't helping there either).

Exploration can be fun and Planetary Interaction seems like it could be as well (haven't tried it yet) but I don't know... The whole design of the game makes it so everything is super far away from everything, it feels like the whole game is a metagame. Most of the fun comes from what you accomplished, the 2s after you spend 2h doing something.

I really wanna like it but it's just not cutting it for me (just played for 2 weeks after 3 other trial accounts spread over a couple of years). I want to have fun in the moment and Eve Online throws stuff at me at a too slow pace, I just don't have the time for it.

I also find it hard to immerse myself in the game, the backgrounds are really low-res :( Docking, looting (opening cargo) and all interactions (or lack of interactions actually) also break the illusion for me. A space center where you get to interact with other people would be awesome. This again, make it feel like I'm just selecting stuff to happen rather than it actually happening...

What I do like is that you need to read up on a lot of things in Eve, I like that knowledge gathering process. I wouldn't really call the game hard though, just a steep learning curve which makes it inaccessible, I just wished tasks were a bit more challenging and more gameplay-ish. Not a bad game imo but I can't continue playing it for the moment. I'll likely renew my subscription after I finished all the stuff I bought in the Steam Sales, then it's probably winter and super depressing so I can lock myself up and play it some more :)

Edited by Chimeray

It's true that Eve is much about the metagame. That's what makes it fun imo. I like to scam, gank and ninja, collecting tears. The other thing that makes it fun to me is how dangerous it can be. Loses can hurt a lot. No other game has me so on the edge for hours and gives me such adrenaline kicks because of that. But that all comes from the metagame of player interactions, everybody trying to fuck over each other, setting traps, using all fair and unfair tricks, outsmarten enemies etc. The game itself, mechanics wise i think is pretty bad to be honest.

To not let the thread completely derail i will say that it would be cool if Star Citizen could fill in these gaps. I would love it if the game manages to couple what makes Eve great with actualy good gameplay mechanics. Tho i think it will end up to be the opposite of Eve. Good gameplay mechanics but all fluffy and nice metagame.

Edited by Steppenwolf