Reducing texture tiling in UE3

Shnayke

Hi all -

I'm learning both UE3 and UDK, doing my best to use the pre-included assets of both toolsets to develop a good level design portfolio.

Right now I'm having some trouble with terrain textures looking really "tiled" in UE3. I found this set of solutions offered here:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TerrainAdvancedTextures.html

And they seemed really neat.

What I did is I implemented the multi-UV mixing technique combined with Rotating the UV technique.

In my texture preview window I see my ball with my texture applied to it. At least I didn't break anything!

And then I go ahead and apply the texture to my landscape - and woe is me, it looks horrifically tiled. As if I've done nothing at all.

The only thing that I think could possibly leave room for error is the "TexCoord" box on the far right, setting the three parameters to read 0, 0.25, and 0.25 from top to bottom. (The first parameter doesn't seem to want to be anything BUT 0). But other than that, the other modifiers seem very simple and straightforward and I can't fathom why this isn't working.

Any tips/ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

S

I could be wrong here but I think .25 will actually tile your texture 4x more which is only desirable for your detail layer (which should only be visible up close anyway). Try setting a higher value for your overlay layer, something like 4 or 5 should be good depending on the texture.

Another common trick to hide tiling on terrain textures is to blur the mipmaps, so they fade better in the distance. I know they did this on Far Cry 2 and it works pretty well.

Screenshots could also help seeing what is wrong :)