Wii U still best console this gen. And Wind Waker still one of the most visually impressive games ever.

Took me 10 hours to realize mario kart 8 has drafting and apparently it was in Mario Kart 64 as well, but not double dash the one I last played before 7 and 8. wtf

hello does anyone own this machine hello

Indeed, with just a few good games out this console is already waaaaay better than the other ones.

My only disappointment so far is not being able to use the pro controller on Wii games. I got Xenoblade but can't play it because not even the gamepad works for Wii games :(

Wii U still best console this gen. And Wind Waker still one of the most visually impressive games ever.

Took me 10 hours to realize mario kart 8 has drafting and apparently it was in Mario Kart 64 as well, but not double dash the one I last played before 7 and 8. wtf

hello does anyone own this machine hello

wait, MK64 had drafting?!  I thought it was introduced in DS!  

speaking of that game, has there been any word on when native N64 virtual console is coming?

All true guys. However, don't you think it's odd that even Nintendo doesn't know what to do with the game pad? MK uses it as a map and that's about it. You are not going to revolutionize things if you don't set the example. 

All true guys. However, don't you think it's odd that even Nintendo doesn't know what to do with the game pad? MK uses it as a map and that's about it. You are not going to revolutionize things if you don't set the example. 

Yeah I never use that thing in Mario Kart either, you can't take your eyes off the track! I love how the main feature is using it as a horn, haha.

I bet it would be really useful if you have a big family and someone else wants to use the TV, but I haven't really used it much tbh.

Loving Mario Kart at the moment. My girlfriend tried playing last night, it was good fun! She really enjoyed it. I love how Nintendo appeal to even non-gamers, that's a real achievement :)

It seems to me that the perfect example of how the pad could be useful is the DS. That console has shitloads of great games that make the second screen a useful part of the experience, i.e. somewhere to show HUDs, maps, inventories, etc so that the main screen can be as cinematic as possible.

I think some Wii U games are doing this and that's really what it's best at. Anyone expecting it to be some revolutionary feature that allows drastically different play styles like with the Wii will be disappointed, but as far as enhancing everyday gaming goes it seems to be a success.

I think the whole 'gaming without a TV' will appeal to few adults, but I'd imagine that kids enjoy being able to use it in a household where there's constant competition for the TV.

Yeah I use it as a TV at my friends house who has a projector. There's like 3 seats where you can see the screen from, so as the 4th player it's perfect for me to have.

I think with a fast paced game like Mario Kart, where you don't want to take your eyes off the screen, there's not much else they can add except the mini map and the horn button.

It works great in Zelda: WW for inventory management though!

I've only come up with one basic game concept that maybe (and its a big maybe) would work (and only in the local multiplayer setting at that) is either a real time strategy or role playing game where-in the tablet player can actively place obstacles (think a dungeons and dragons GM for adding obstacles/narration and the removal of enemies tapping in localized New Super Mario Bros (I think that's the right one--played other night at my bar)) or commands to teammates ala Battlefield 2 (commander mode). Although this could be taken a step farther with games such as Flagship (that would be a pretty sweet setup) which should work both as singleplayer and internet multiplayer.

It's awesome to have the tablet when I am rending out stuff and/or waiting for computer processes to finish and the g/f is watching TV because I can jump right into a game on the tablet while keeping an eye on the computer for errors. But that would be a niche use. :/

Edited by Sigma

It seems to me that the perfect example of how the pad could be useful is the DS. That console has shitloads of great games that make the second screen a useful part of the experience, i.e. somewhere to show HUDs, maps, inventories, etc so that the main screen can be as cinematic as possible.

I think some Wii U games are doing this and that's really what it's best at. Anyone expecting it to be some revolutionary feature that allows drastically different play styles like with the Wii will be disappointed, but as far as enhancing everyday gaming goes it seems to be a success.

I think the whole 'gaming without a TV' will appeal to few adults, but I'd imagine that kids enjoy being able to use it in a household where there's constant competition for the TV.

IMO, the best use has been asymmetrical play, where one player gets a different screen than the others.  In all honesty, DS style game design on Wii U just doesn't work, as the gamepad (or TV) tends to be out of your view, whereas the DS has both screens right next to each other making paying attention to both real easy.

IMO, the best use has been asymmetrical play, where one player gets a different screen than the others.  In all honesty, DS style game design on Wii U just doesn't work, as the gamepad (or TV) tends to be out of your view, whereas the DS has both screens right next to each other making paying attention to both real easy.

This.

My Wii U arrives on saturnday :)

Counting down :D

(thanks Minos!)

Minos is shipping out Wii U's? Where do I leave my address?