Getting a new rig...... Is this good or bad?

onji

I'm thinking of getting a new box, and delegating my old/current one to storage duties. I'd like to get a lot of miles out of this new machine, and maybe upgrade the cpu, memory and video in a year or two. I'd appreciate if anyone can offer suggestions to this setup.

Asus Sabertooth Z77

Intel i5 3570K

G.Skill 8GBx2 1866Mhz

Palit GTX670 Jet Stream

WD Black 2TB

Corsair Obsidian 650 tower

Corsair HX 750w psu

I'm basically using this thing to dev on CryEngine, and occasionally 3dsmax and Photoshop for assets (not rendering video).

Looks good to me (mind you I have no idea what I'm talking about), the only weird thing is the videocard, I've never heard of the manufacturer. Last time I skimped on money on a graphics card it had a critical meltdown, so I'd say spend some extra dollars/euros and get a card from a high profile manufacturer.

Looks good to me (mind you I have no idea what I'm talking about), the only weird thing is the videocard, I've never heard of the manufacturer. Last time I skimped on money on a graphics card it had a critical meltdown, so I'd say spend some extra dollars/euros and get a card from a high profile manufacturer.

Yeah pretty much this. It probably looks like a good bargain, but once you start to get blue screens after 1 hour of game time every fucking time you are going to regret purchasing something from an unknown manufacturer.

I'd say the same thing applies for ram, I've never heard of g.skill but they seem to be reputable according to the internets.

- I have never used g.skill ram, but I've gotten the impression that it's more about brand and image than actual quality. Check RAM reviews to check if you are paying for quality or unnecessary bling. Also, consider just going for 16gb or so straight away. RAM is still cheap right? :P

- It's already been said; buy a GFX from a more reputable make.

- I'm allergic to WD discs, but I'm sure they've improved over the years. :)

- Great choice of case. Be warned though; it's not designed to be really quiet if that's your thing (it's not loud, just not "silent"). I have mine under my desk and I'm never bothered by it.

- Add an SSD, it doesn't have to be big. You just want your OS, the Adobe Suite and modelling tools on it basically.

I'm in Sapporo Japan, and the range of parts isn't as extensive as Eu/US, so Palit seem to be the only cards here. They do have a single Asus 660 ti, which I could get if you're all positive that getting a smaller-brand is going to be cancer. On another note the Palit cards here aren't any cheaper, and got a decent review on guru3d so I thought this may be ok....

I've been thinking of going SSD for my primary drive but it'd put me over budget. Maybe I'll hold off for a few more weeks and try fit in the SSD. :ninja:

Honestly I don't have any loyalty to HDD manufacturers. I've had Seagate, WD, Hitachi, and Samsung. I had a Seagate, which was ancient, fail on me, and a WD which only lasted a couple of years.

@Puddy - so long as it doesn't sound like a jackhammer, I don't mind a bit of noise in my case

christ dude if you're living in japan anyway couldn't you at least have gone someplace warmer?!

Yeah it does get a bit nippy here with around 120 days snowfall, but I'd trade it all for a little bit more. Plus it keeps my PC cold when I put it near the window :cool:

PS Thanks for the input folks, I'll look into getting an OCZ if they stock that brand up here.