Beck

The Half-Life 3 thread of closure and memorium

I might just replay everything again ...

I miss you Half life 2

If you do, I can recommend the "Cinematic Mod 12", It's like 11gb, but it's worth it imo.

Just went through the Cinematic Mod site and it looks good. Did you find it affected the tone/mood of the original game much? While an artistic improvement, it's hard not to notice this environment for example looks much less barren and depressing:

cm_12_03.jpg

Yet stuff like this looks amazing:

cm_12_01.jpg

cm_12_08.jpg

cm_12_02.jpg

I don't like the new Alyx though, the author of the mod even describes the new model as 'slutty' lmao. Good job there's an option to disable those.

As long as it doesn't totally ruin some parts of the game I'll definitely give it a go as it looks like he's mostly done a great job. :D

I might just replay everything again ...

I miss you Half life 2

If you do, I can recommend the "Cinematic Mod 12", It's like 11gb, but it's worth it imo.

Just went through the Cinematic Mod site and it looks good. Did you find it affected the tone/mood of the original game much? While an artistic improvement, it's hard not to notice this environment for example looks much less barren and depressing:

Yet stuff like this looks amazing:

cm_12_01.jpg

Not sure this screen is an improvement really. I think a lot of the impact of the devastation is sorta lost here. Like how there's barely anything left is way more interesting and memorable. And I don't think you ever view that scene from that angle anyway, you're pretty much always at street level. Also the orange building facades are way more identifiable as City 17, the shot on the right looks like new york crysis 2 on source engine or something. also the prominence of the citadel is kinda lost

Edited by Erratic

Yeah the more I look at the cinematic mod the more I get pissed off with art direction changes. I really wish there was something I could install that adds some of the awesome lighting and shit without making changes that kind of miss the point of certain scenes. It wouldn't surprise me if he even added loads of water to the dock/coast scenes, not realising they're meant to be so dry because of the Combine.  :lol:

Yeah the more I look at the cinematic mod the more I get pissed off with art direction changes. I really wish there was something I could install that adds some of the awesome lighting and shit without making changes that kind of miss the point of certain scenes. It wouldn't surprise me if he even added loads of water to the dock/coast scenes, not realising they're meant to be so dry because of the Combine.  :lol:

You're right to be pissed off. Valve builds everything with a certain elegance. They don't just clutter shit down and add lots of annoying effects. :D