Jump to content
Beck

The Half-Life 3 thread of closure and memorium

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Can’t find a dedicated topic so spamming here

 

I want to like this but it doesn’t scratch the itch. I really respect the professionalism they bring to this but the sound effects, the graphics, the gameplay, everything kind of falls flat for me and seems like a rough HL2 mod.

To make a good HL3 you have to start with the things we don’t currently have good access to, narrative and story beats. The physics is nice but I don’t feel that physics are a big constraint in current HL2 mods, it’s the narrative excitement and polish that is generally lacking in these mods.

Are the characters here going to be interesting, are the stories going to be compelling? That’s what I crave from the Half Life universe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I feel like they are feature creeping tech when they really don’t need to. Some sick level design, level art, talented VO and a few new guns to spice up the arsenal would have been enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many new games GabeN promised, four? All this year?

Anyway, here’s one!

Nothing of interest for me, but is interesting to see that Source 2 is also supporting mobile platforms!

The hope they might still release Source 2 to devs is still there, maybe after they release these games?

~

@FMPONE agree with you but isn’t it a catch-22? To show story you have to have mechanics implemented… and gameplay and maps is really what will display progress to the community the quickest.

I haven’t read Epistle 3 yet(!) and is not that immediate to translate script to game narration… but that seems a solid base to start from, and these people look like they can be trusted. Sure won’t be like a Valve product, ever :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blackdog said:

How many new games GabeN promised, four? All this year?

Anyway, here’s one!

Nothing of interest for me, but is interesting to see that Source 2 is also supporting mobile platforms!

The hope they might still release Source 2 to devs is still there, maybe after they release these games?

~

@FMPONE agree with you but isn’t it a catch-22? To show story you have to have mechanics implemented… and gameplay and maps is really what will display progress to the community the quickest.

I haven’t read Epistle 3 yet(!) and is not that immediate to translate script to game narration… but that seems a solid base to start from, and these people look like they can be trusted. Sure won’t be like a Valve product, ever :(

Maybe but the combat they implemented was overly faithful to HL2, and uncritically reproduces it, warts and all. A dev on twitter said they will work on improving it now. Worth remembering all this stuff is WIP.

Also, I was pretty sure that the supply of DOTA spinoffs had radically outstripped demand, but Underlords is having a successful launch. It’ll be interesting to see if they can maintain that momentum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

Maybe but the combat they implemented was overly faithful to HL2, and uncritically reproduces it, warts and all. A dev on twitter said they will work on improving it now. Worth remembering all this stuff is WIP.

Also, I was pretty sure that the supply of DOTA spinoffs had radically outstripped demand, but Underlords is having a successful launch. It’ll be interesting to see if they can maintain that momentum. 

I think it's pretty stupid to put all that effort into remaking HL2 on UE4. Most people, especially half-life fans, aren't that concerned with the graphics. They just want to see solid gameplay and captivating atmosphere. It's been two years and they've barely scratched the surface. And once they have all the base features they have to add in the additional elements described in Epistle 3 - the Borealis and the teleportation gimmick is gonna be a bitch. The fact that they're stressing this to be a "visual treat" is gonna be their downfall I'd say. If I were to compare it to something, then it would be Black Mesa. That mod was in development for 7-8 years? before an official release and even then it was missing the XEN chapters which are to this day still in development. So you're looking at 15 years of development time. Super long time with a lot of potential for things to go wrong. Sure, you can argue that the project will endure as has the community for so long, but there's still the question if their efforts would have been better used to work with the existing content and just upgrade the Source engine to Titanfall 2 standards. At least then they could have cut down on the visuals and aimed for a release if things were getting difficult. 

Also, I think it's going to become more common in the next years to see smaller spin offs based on bigger titles.

Edited by Radu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 2:12 PM, Radu said:

I think it's pretty stupid to put all that effort into remaking HL2 on UE4. Most people, especially half-life fans, aren't that concerned with the graphics. They just want to see solid gameplay and captivating atmosphere.

Hello, level designer on the Listening Post gameplay segment here. The main motivation for me is to work on a free time project in modern middleware like UE4, which I use in my day job. This allows me to perhaps flex and learn in areas that my day job perhaps won't allow for due to time/scope/seniority/project/etc. It's good practice. It also gives a good opportunity for others to join and learn too, so that they may be better prepared for say - full time work in games. Like the way it used to be :)

I wouldn't say that building a known framework to allow this is stupid. It gives a good base with some known mechanics for people to work to and given the age of the source material, ideally improve upon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...