Beck

The Half-Life 3 thread of closure and memorium

Not every game needs thousands of players spending hundreds of hours on a game for years to be a success.

Portal 2 is a bad example too as it's a puzzle game, they don't have massive amounts of replay value and Valve screwed their chances with it anyway because they decided to have monetisation focused on cosmetics rather than new puzzles. Which was the completely wrong approach.

Edited by Bastion

Sorry for gravedig but this topic came up on a search and I remember I wanted to quote you on this

On 8/30/2017 at 2:21 PM, FMPONE said:

In other words, I just doubt SP is attractive anymore in contrast to MP for that reason.

Although I agree with the rest of the post, I think that recent releases contradict this theory. Companies much less healthy (read: no passive income) are putting out single-player games, and not just that, they are doing big games, huge releases with a lot of praise.

Fallout 4, Dishonored, Prey, Doom (the SP is really what people play) -- for most recent times; latest years we got stuff like: Bioshock Infinite, Wolfenstein, Batman, Evil Within, MGS5... and I'm surely missing/skipping other noteworthy titles.

11 hours ago, clankill3r said:

Holy shit, that is cool.

On 9/21/2017 at 7:56 PM, blackdog said:

Sorry for gravedig but this topic came up on a search and I remember I wanted to quote you on this

Although I agree with the rest of the post, I think that recent releases contradict this theory. Companies much less healthy (read: no passive income) are putting out single-player games, and not just that, they are doing big games, huge releases with a lot of praise.

Fallout 4, Dishonored, Prey, Doom (the SP is really what people play) -- for most recent times; latest years we got stuff like: Bioshock Infinite, Wolfenstein, Batman, Evil Within, MGS5... and I'm surely missing/skipping other noteworthy titles.

Bethesda definitely still ships high quality SP games that seem to do well. Can’t dispute that. 

Not sure SP is dead totally, and in fact it might offer a nice relatively stable investment compared to an MP game that fails to monetize itself well, or can’t ask a sufficient upfront price. These are normal developer problems, it seems like. A big developer with successful MP titles has the luxury of focusing on that.

Still remember randomly buying it at the supermarket, weird to say that, but when I look back that box was kind of a life changer to me. If it was not for TF2, I wouldn't be here on Mapcore and wouldn't have spent so much time at creating levels, this teached me so many stuff about design, i'm pretty sure my professionnal career would have taken a way worse direction without that.

This box is hands down the best game bundle that was made in the history of videogames.