Beck

The Half-Life 3 thread of closure and memorium

I put this together given Gabe Newell's open admiration of Nintendo, I think the differences between Valve and Nintendo are really obvious both in terms of quantity of successful IP and also how Nintendo treats their IP much better in terms of frequent, timely releases

valveip.jpg.ae5c855d532b55dc521db1441f9e6f02.jpg

1 hour ago, FMPONE said:

I put this together given Gabe Newell's open admiration of Nintendo, I think the differences between Valve and Nintendo are really obvious both in terms of quantity of successful IP and also how Nintendo treats their IP much better in terms of frequent, timely releases

valveip.jpg.ae5c855d532b55dc521db1441f9e6f02.jpg

You left out one of their most important multiplayer coop titles, it literally changed the face of the coop genre

Ricochet

Also Left 4 Dead 2

19 minutes ago, fewseb said:

You left out one of their most important multiplayer coop titles, it literally changed the face of the coop genre

Ricochet

Also Left 4 Dead 2

Forgetting l4d2... WOOPS

correction.jpg

@FMPONE think is a bit confusing without numbers (eg Portal 2) also the time frame chosen, Nintendo starts from 2004, Valve 2007. Not saying is an unfair comparison but would make more sense to go from same year for both.

Here's a better list with Valve's titles and release dates:

Half-Life                                         1998

Team Fortress Classic                1999 (mod acquired)

Counter-Strike                               1999 (mod acquired)

Ricochet                                         2000

Deathmatch Classic                     2001 (originally quake mod)

Day of Defeat                                 2003 (mod acquired)

Counter-Strike: CZ                         2004

Counter-Strike: Source                  2004

Half-Life: Source                            2004

Half-Life 2                                       2004

Half-Life 2: Deathmatch               2004

Day of Defeat: Source                   2005

Half-Life 2: Lost Coast                  2005

Half-Life 2: Episode 1                    2006

Half-Life 2: Episode 2                    2007

Portal                                               2007 (project acquired)

Team Fortress 2                            2007

Left 4 Dead                                     2008 (project acquired)

Left 4 Dead 2                                  2009

Alien Swarm                                   2010 (project acquired)

Portal 2                                           2011

Counter-Strike: GO                        2012

Dota 2                                             2013 (originally w3 mod)

The Lab (VR game)                      2016

Artifact                                           2018

In the Valley of the Gods             2019 (project acquired)

For the most part, Valve have released an original or acquired title on a yearly basis. They only seemed to have slowed down after 2013, turning their focus on VR, hardware and Steam oriented software. With the recent release of Artifact and their next acquired project, In the Valley of the Gods, Valve might appear to be getting back to the business of making games (you can laugh now).

Not sure some of those Valve releases really count as notable first party releases (Alien Swarm [im a big valve fan and I never heard of it until years after the fact]/The Lab [15 minute game]).

But anyway my point is Nintendo’s commitment to first-party stuff has actually earned them a lot of criticism from the games press over the years. People felt like they weren’t being open enough to more mature releases, or just non-first party exclusives such as what Sony or Microsoft do by pursuing big partnerships with someone like Hideo Kojima or Bungie, etc. Despite the criticism it seems to have served them very well however, through the good times and the bad, they’ve weathered every storm (GameCube, Wii U), only to bounce back stronger. I think it’s because people know their next console will feature a blockbuster set of Mario/Zelda/Pokémon games and that ultimately it will be worth the purchase. Even Sony or Microsoft has struggled to create stuff people care about so reliably and dependably. Steam has Dota 2/CS/TF2, but it’s a very thin first party list compared to the console scene and especially compared to Nintendo’s first party offerings, which are always timely and almost always critically acclaimed.

So yes, I love Valve games, they have the quality IP, but the lessons from Nintendo should extend beyond just hardware innovation. It’s also about how Nintendo makes the most of their IP by thrilling their player base and fans combining innovative hardware with new installments of their biggest franchises every time. You just don’t see Nintendo letting their biggest franchises sleep for 10 years at a time.

Wanted to post but was working, thought the same: great timing by Epic. Seems like they really want to get on their nose.

Competition is good. The terms and share super honest for what you get. I can see the indies flicking already.

Ps: I’ll repost in UE topic to keep track

PPS: @Radu Alien Swarm was acquired as well, the game was originally a UE mod, if I remember correctly got like second-third place in the “make something unreal” contest. I think they then went Source because of maybe more favourable licensing and ended up being acquired and the game given away for free.

Edited by blackdog

On 12/4/2018 at 12:36 PM, FMPONE said:

Expected. Next step will be Valve being bought out by Microsoft sometime in the next 3-5 years.

Yeah no kidding expected. Been sitting on this news for a year.  I think the big question for Valve is if it is still interested in getting up in the morning and printing money.