The Half-Life 3 thread of closure and memorium AKA what Tyler McVicker just said on YouTube

Beck

Just now, blackdog said:

Never heard this expression before, is it like take a walk or meaning to drown lol

it actually came from 'you clearly didn't evolve right, get back in the sea and try again' ?

Valve directly called him out for knowing fuck all and people are still listening to him, it's wild.

1 hour ago, Vaya said:

it actually came from 'you clearly didn't evolve right, get back in the sea and try again' ?

Valve directly called him out for knowing fuck all and people are still listening to him, it's wild.

Interesting, cheers for that nugget ? 
~
Haven’t several of the rumours he reported on been then verified over time?

As for content goes, seems pretty harmless compared to other stuff you find online/on YT. And is not like he’s doing all this digging to ruin Valve but to hype it. Just like those that chase the latest iPhone rumour or whatever.

Edited by blackdog

34 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Haven’t several of the rumours he reported on been then verified over time?

something about a broken clock? :P a lot of his stuff is literally just using valve's pushed code to references for things that haven't been announced. It doesn't really seem to factor in to his thought process how much valve prototype and drop ideas though. Also he's dramatic as fuck which helps no one.

1 hour ago, Vaya said:

something about a broken clock? :P a lot of his stuff is literally just using valve's pushed code to references for things that haven't been announced. It doesn't really seem to factor in to his thought process how much valve prototype and drop ideas though. Also he's dramatic as fuck which helps no one.

Yeah all of that is true, just the average person doesn’t have the skills to do that, or can’t be arsed… so it’s somewhat of a service to his audience.

I don’t think he was as dramatic in the past, but I’ve noticed how this type of content creators leverage drama, to the point of becoming obnoxious, with dragged out videos that become also very self-referential often. The Valve drought really hit Tyler, you can see how white his knuckles are to cling to his youtuber career.

I don’t understand why Valve even acknowledged him in this instance (I went to check and the answer to the Valve statement is a logic for which he’s implying “HL3 confirmed” lol)… and I don’t understand why in some instances they seemed actually annoyed with him and his work. I dunno, I would just be happy to see there are individuals so passionate about my work and if anything I’d have some sort of banter to poke some fun if I had the spare time.

On 12/1/2021 at 2:45 PM, blackdog said:

I don’t think he was as dramatic in the past, but I’ve noticed how this type of content creators leverage drama, to the point of becoming obnoxious, with dragged out videos that become also very self-referential often. The Valve drought really hit Tyler, you can see how white his knuckles are to cling to his youtuber career.

He's always been obnoxious and dramatic, it just used to be charming in a way, which I'd say he's lost over the past few years

I don't think you can say the Valve drought hit him, that drought is basically what he built his channel on. Would people have been clambering for scraps of information if Valve regularly released new content and communicated with the outside world? Well, maybe. But I think it was the mystique that kept people interested, and kept tyler humble. Around when HLA was announced he went into kind of a ''see I am a real journalist!'' phase ( while still acting like a neo-youtuber/streamer, mind you ) which honestly became grating pretty quickly.

On 12/1/2021 at 2:45 PM, blackdog said:

I don’t understand why in some instances they seemed actually annoyed with him and his work. I dunno, I would just be happy to see there are individuals so passionate about my work and if anything I’d have some sort of banter to poke some fun if I had the spare time.

The same reason anyone of vague noteworthiness dislikes journalists, needing to lock your bins to keep people from rummaging through old mail is not by and large considered a hobby. I'm sure once upon a time they found his obsessive fanaticism endearing, but that's easier with a 15 y/o than a 20-something.

6 hours ago, ThunderKeil said:

I don't think you can say the Valve drought hit him, that drought is basically what he built his channel on.

Of course, what I mean is that Valve eventually released something, the actual being the scenes of cancelled games came out, etc… now it’s even worse than it used to be, I’m not really following the scene but it doesn’t seem there’s even much movement in the modding scene, which he also covered a bit. (Not a coincidence he changed the channel name, started branching out to other content)

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised nobody talk about this in Mapcore yet, kinda related to Half-Life but holy shit that ad was crazy.

I'll imagine ''there'' will be a another valve-related commercial ads kind of like what they did with Portal 2 but what's all behind this?

this is gotta be fucking cool yo.

• 2 weeks later...

This is good news, last time I replayed HL2 I was pretty appalled at how bad controller support seemed to be. It was there, but always felt pretty half assed and bugged. Every few hours I had get off my fat ass and use the keyboard to turn controller/joystick off and on again so it worked again.