The Half-Life 3 thread of closure and memorium AKA what Tyler McVicker just said on YouTube

Beck

As much as I like black & white opinions, reality is more grey. It's true that Valve didn't come up with the core concept for games like Portal, L4D or Dota 2, but they nonetheless shaped the games into what they are today. For all we know, Portal might have remained as Narbacular Drop if it wasn't for Valve. To say they didn't play any part in development is unfair. It's like saying that the F1 sponsors and teams don't do anything, because it's the drivers that win the races.

10 hours ago, dux said:

Portal was valve hiring the team behind it. l4d Turtle Rock, another hired team. Vavle sees something they like hire the team and loom in the background. They ain't done anything since TF2.

Literally this.

Portal? University students that Valve hired.

Left4Dead? Turtle Rock.

CS:GO? A bunch of modders who  Valve bought the game off of and ported it to a new engine.

Dota2? Another mod that Valve hired 1 guy to come in and remake for them in source.

TF2? Hey didn't Robin Walker make that? Before he got hired by Valve? In 1996? Are you seeing a pattern here yet?

Valve haven't shipped any games that weren't fundamentally somebody else's work which they've bought in over 12 years. And yet somehow they're important and relevant? No. Just no. Valve don't make games, they buy other peoples games and polish them loads and then try to pass it off as a new product. You know who else does that super successfully? Blizzard (if we ignore hearthstone).  

On 2/10/2017 at 3:22 PM, FMPONE said:

Left 4 Dead 1 was based on a CS mod, built from the ground up by Valve.

Turtle Rock Studios made the in-house mod AND the final L4D game. Valve just happened to like the game so much that they bought the TRS crew and the L4D IP. After TRS (Or Valve south if you will) finished the game, a large part of the crew wanted to split from Valve again and Valve was kind enough to just give them back their old name,  but not the Left 4 Dead IP.

On 2/10/2017 at 3:36 PM, dux said:

Vavle sees something they like hire the team and loom in the background. They ain't done anything since TF2.

I don't know a ton about the development of the Portal games or Dota for that matter, but if TF2 count as something Valve did themselves, shouldn't L4D2 as well? Aside from some DLC, TRS didn't get to touch that game. Not even the TRS people who stayed with Valve after L4D1 were allowed to work on it. 

And although I don't know much about the development of the Portal games, I'm pretty sure they had a lot more than just the native team working on the second game. I think the point I'm getting at is that I think it's generally unfair to say that Valve hasn't been doing anything since TF2, and/or that they're no longer relevant, but that's just my humble opinion. 

Guys you're taking a bit too seriously a half-truth trolling :)

Valve has merits, there's nothing wrong in acquiring talent and IPs, that's the way it works really for tech giants in general. But yeah, except HL they've never developed a game/IP that was born from the inside… so I see what some people are saying and it's agreeable when you apply a certain abstraction.