Sign in to follow this  
Beck

Source 2 in the works?

Some of the guys over at Valvetime.net have been digging through the Source Filmmakers files and have found multiple references to a "next-gen" source engine.

He's found many more references to a "Source 2", but not just one vague line like our previous entry. We're only one file deep, and already it's clear that the references to "Source 2" are indeed referring to a next-gen engine that Valve is currently developing. I'm only going to show one line in this post, but there are about 60+ references here, and this one line is probably the most telling.

The Pastebin & file path:

".../SourceFilmmaker/game/sdktools/python/global/lib/site-packages/vproj/vproj.py"

Line 1387:

'''Return an str with the current engine version.

If key doesn't doesn't exist, assume 'Source', otherwise invalid -- assume next-gen 'Source 2'.'''

http://www.valvetime.net/threads/exclus ... nt.215336/

I'm very excited about this, looking forward to see what it has to offer :D

Well, they should update the engine to survive, so there's no supprise :hurry:

I'm not saying that Valve's games are crappy because of the old technology. Hell no, Valve can provide great graphics and gameplay but time is ticking, creating better tools can save lots of LD's time.

It's good to know that this is actually happening, although it should be no surprise that now we're eight years(!) past Source's debut an official next version is in the works.

I suspect the thing most people will be excited about is the new development tools, which I believe were announced last year but are still in the works. It'd make sense to have a whole new version of the engine to go along with them, so hopefully we'll see some significant advances forward graphically and physics-wise because even though Source is very competent for the style Valve has used in its newer games, it's sometimes easy to forget that it was a cutting-edge and technologically stunning engine when it first came along — not just graphically, but in terms of materials and physics too.

Of course the game has moved on big time, and Valve must sometimes wish they'd gotten themselves a bigger slice of the game engine pie considering they were once synonymous with amateur development. Source Filmmaker is an unexpected but useful glimpse of how their next generation of tools might look and feel though, blending power with accessibility, which is promising IMO. :-D

I hope they continue showing an effort in usability for their tools so they could be an example for other developers.

It is not anymore about amazing features but about enjoyable tools that allow you to iterate fast without any frustration.

With that said, I still can't download the source movie tools :D It gives me an error, haha

Source is still quite a capable engine I would fully expect the next gen version to be on par at least with CE3 etc. It sounds like it could be more of a massive overhaul rather than something completely new though if its referenced in current tools like the film maker.

Why are we constrained to bsp though? I have yet to see/use an editor where I can use some primitive functionality see in modelling programs. Doesn't the spark editor allow this sort of manipulation? Sometimes it would be really handy to create some simple non-bsp shapes and structures instead of having to work between programs.

Out of the big engines I still prefer the feeling of multiplayer games on source best. Something about the way they handle their net and input code I suppose.

Anyways what I really want to see is the next Hammer editor :)

Anyways what I really want to see is the next Hammer editor

Aye, I always wished I could use GTKradiant for source. The editor provides a much better work flow, IMO. :(