Thrik

Battlefield 4

Bought this for super cheap last night so as not to endorse DICE too much, and I've gotta say, it's all very glitzy and beautiful, but it plays like shit. Everything feels so floaty and disconnected. Gonna carry on with it though because I do see potential. Gonna try out all the maps first though.

glad you're playing it just fine PaulH :) i've just fired it up again and read on battlelog that dice is adressing rubberbanding issues. of all the bugs ive had encountered with bf4, rubberbanding was not one of them (not often anyway). but now i can't join any server without unplayable rubberbanding and a dramatic fps decrease from 35-40 to 15-20 (and im already playing on lowest settings lol). gj

Not seen any of this happening and was playing it over the weekend, maybe it's region specific?

controls are pretty much the same as every other console shooter in the last generation, I think the touch pad is used to bring up battlelog but I can't remember. Dunno if any other games have used it for anything fancy yet? Hopefully it won't end up as something gimmicky.

Infamous uses the touch pad for quite a few things, you have to swipe it to rip doors off prison cages. You also move your thumbs up on it to raise generators out of the ground, then hold them there whilst you mash the right trigger to destroy it. I did read in a review they felt the touchpad was a bit overused in this respect though.  

How is it control-wise? I've always found Battlefield a pretty challenging game to be good at even on PC, with the luxury of a keyboard and mouse. Is its PS4 incarnation a classic 'look around with the stick' style, or have any of the PS4's features such as the camera or touch pad been used to make it easier to play effectively? Just wondering how big an obstacle the controls are with what is historically a tough game to enjoy until you're really good.

I think it's fine to control on PS4, but then I always play shooters on console now (not meaning to spark another PC/console debate, hope Dux isn't reading this :))

Not seen any of this happening and was playing it over the weekend, maybe it's region specific?

it's funny you say that. my gf plays bf4 too (i have actually played most time with her) and she had no problems whatsoever, while her rig is pretty much way less powerful then mine and we were playing on the same server... i guess you have to be lucky to have good performance :P

I think it's fine to control on PS4, but then I always play shooters on console now (not meaning to spark another PC/console debate, hope Dux isn't reading this :))

i found it actually plays fine as far as controls go (pc). last time i played i felt the vehicles are getting stuck less on terrain, which is a big plus too :)

So I got this for the PS4 the other day, and I have to say that thus far I haven't really experienced any technical issues whatsoever. I know there have been multiple patches to sort shit out on the PS4 so I'm guessing they did the trick.

As for the game itself, I think I like it more than Battlefield 3. The maps just seem a bit more my thing, very open and epic unlike BF3's multitude of corridor levels. The weapons, vehicles, gameplay really are just typical Battlefield and not very different from every single other one I've played — but it works, so why change it?

This is the first time I've experienced Battlefield in my living room and I'm liking it. Having my sound system blasting out the unsurprisingly excellent audio and everything up on the big screen is great,  and although I was seriously struggling with the stick aiming I've now had somewhat of an epiphany and realised that I've been pretty much using analogue sticks wrong my whole life, lol... I'm now getting pretty good with them.

Everything else (crouching, eagle sights, firing, movement, vehicles) actually feels better on a PS4 pad, and it's a big plus over a keyboard that you can adjust the exact speed that you move with the stick. For example, making your tank crawl along really slowly to avoid detection doesn't require that you have a finger spasm on the movement key, you just move the stick a tiny bit. The same applies to crawling and proning, so you can move along really slowly to avoid being spotted.

Basically I'm surprised but pleased that playing it on a PS4 feels much the same as when I started playing BF3, BF2142, BF2, and BF1942 on PC for the first time. They've nailed the feel, in fact I suspect that due to decisions they've made with the UI it feels even better on console now. I'm sure this has infuriated a lot of PC players but that's how it goes I guess.

Overall it's good, if what you want is another Battlefield game that plays like all the rest. Also I am as excellent with jets as ever:

... and although I was seriously struggling with the stick aiming I've now had somewhat of an epiphany and realised that I've been pretty much using analogue sticks wrong my whole life, lol... I'm now getting pretty good with them.

Since I'm still struggling with stick aiming (not taking into account GoldenEye 64, in which I used to beat everyone :P), I wonder what the right way is. Care to elaborate a bit? :) Or is it rather a matter of getting used to?

Edited by Squad

Bumping from the depths of the necro stuff. 

So there's a new free DLC. Pretty cool, at least I think... It's all stealthy with night vision thingies (called Night Operations). Any of you going to boot up BF4 again out of curiosity ?

I think I might download this again and give it a try. It's been a long while since I last played and apparently they've fixed quite a few of the issues with the bullet reg etc that annoyed me. Shame most of the maps are still shockingly bad but I guess I can just play the decent ones.

Wasn't the greatest map from BF2 but I did play it a fair bit. Wish they'd bring back some of the better BF3 maps along with some of the maps from Bad Company 2 which were far superior for the Rush game mode in my opinion.