Battlefield 4

Thrik

Maps

My beef is primarily with Siege of Shanghai and Operation Dawnbreaker and those kind of maps. Running across 6-lane motorways without much cover isn't fun. Neither is the "all or nothing" approach to verticality. You're either at street level or way above the ground. This creates awkward, angled sightlines between ground troops and rooftop huggers (Zavod 312-something comes to mind).

Zavod is one of the few maps where you can actually play and do stuff as Infantry, like rotating between C and D, and have the occasional excursion to cap B or E. You have at least a chance to take shots at vehicles that dare to drive into the interiors and you have a lot of Infatry engagements. That being said, think Zavod really, grew on me, even tho people complain about visibility, but the playermodels all wear camoskins and it's hard to balance the fact that it's supposed to conceal you and being able to still see enemy infantry. I don't know if it really helped to take out the tracer fx from the sniperrifles, that was present in the beta, but I guess people complained about that too much.

Edited by xfckup

Zavod is one of the few maps where you can actually play and do stuff as Infantry, like rotating between C and D, and have the occasional excursion to cap B or E. You have at least a chance to take shots at vehicles that dare to drive into the interiors and you have a lot of Infatry engagements. That being said, think Zavod really, grew on me, even tho people complain about visibility, but the playermodels all wear camoskins and it's hard to balance the fact that it's supposed to conceal you and being able to still see enemy infantry. I don't know if it really helped to take out the tracer fx from the sniperrifles, that was present in the beta, but I guess people complained about that too much.

I was specifically referring to the rooftops on Zavod in this case. I like the map in general, albeit a bit unreadable.

Edited by Puddy

Yeah, but at least the rooftops are relatively easy to reach with ladders, compared to the highrises in some of the other maps, where a lot of players parachute/heliride in to snipe from there. My impression about these lines of sight you mentioned was, that they were left in on purpose, because "it's realistic" and you just have to deal with it. Just sayin  :oscar:

Edited by xfckup

There has been plenty of communication from DICE, although only on the forums and not in an official press release if that's what you're wondering. Anyhow: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065670132493039/

I'm pretty sad/embarrassed that we can't get it right on each launch but at least shit's getting fixed. Mail just did the rounds that another patch is in the works that will solve more issues. Biggest thing seems to be server instability that's causing a lot of what people like to call "netcode" issues although it's not really related to that at all. That being said, besides that there definitely seems to be something wonky going on with some of the netcode as well. Once the servers are in better shape I suppose they'll look more into that but it's expected a lot of the "netcode" complaints will be resolved with server fixes... As far as I understood. Fyi I don't work on BF4, just reading the mails that go around the office, no idea what I'm talking about  :crazy:

I'm referring to acknowledgement of our specific problem (stuttering in SP and MP even when idling). I think Dice is doing a great job supporting the game. It only worries me that this problem has not officially been listed yet. I should have been more clear.

Thanks for sharing that!

BF4: Second Assault maps confirmed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQPEqjOySDs

Metro, Caspian Border, Gulf of Oman and Operation Firestorm.

I'm kind of sad that Grand Bazaar didn't make the cut, which in my opinion is a MUCH better infantry map than the meat grinder that is Metro. Perhaps with it being updated they can sort out some of the stalemate problems.

Anyway, I've played BF4 for over 40 hours now in the multiplayer and got through the single player campaign and in my opinion it's not as great as BF3. 

In the single player campaign I had no idea what was going on since things moved so fast. I feel it is actually worse than BF3's campaign which is saying something. Visually it was nice with some awesome explosions, weather effects and locations. Overall though, I was bored throughout it.

Multiplayer wise... there is a LOT to unlock which is good. I'm just scratching the surface after 40 hours so there should be plenty for me to go at. The guns take a little while to get used to, but once you learn not to spray unless it's very close quarters you should be ok. 

The vehicles are your standard fare of tanks, choppers and jets with a few changes to how things work. They have limited ammo now which replenishes over time, which for the most part is not a hindrance. BUT if you find yourself in an extended battle with a few opponents it can be very annoying when you run out of ammo. All you can do is sit there and watch them pound you. It's really frustrating when I die because I run out of ammo in a battle I probably could have won. 

Levelution isn't really all it was made out to be on most maps. There are a few maps where the levelution does change the flow of the battle (Operation Locker, Flood Zone, Paracel Storm and possibly Hainan Resort) where a capture point is basically completely changed. On these maps if one team is stomping the other and completely owns said point the levelution event will often see that point change hands which is really nice.

However, on the other maps the levelution stuff doesn't really change all that much. It might block off a road which doesn't really get used or put a hole in the floor for infantry to use but that's about it.

Also, some maps are very hard to play if you are just infantry. Because they are so open you just get sniped or shot by a vehicle before you can do anything. I know people complained about the BF3 maps having the points pretty close together, but at least infantry stood a chance getting between points.

Perhaps with the expansions and patches to fix the lag things will get better. But at the moment I feel it's a bit of a let down in some areas.

I caught this while reading through some site about hardware choices, etc:

One of the reasons we went with the R9 280X over a similar Nvidia offering is that it will also support AMD’s Mantle API, which is a low level access API that allows game developers to directly access the graphics card hardware better optimizing games for better performance. So far, DICE/Frostbite/Battlefield 4 has confirmed support for Mantle along with a number of other game developers (Eidos, Cloud Imperium Games, and Oxide Games), which should be very interesting in the coming months.

Yes, very interesting indeed... it's all starting to feel a bit one-sided in AMD's favour at the moment when it comes to GPUs, seeing as all the new consoles are using them and now this? Hmm...  :|

More shit I saw about the stuttering on a benchmark site:

Results clearly show that the game runs much better on Windows 8.1 than on Windows 7. When releasing Windows 8′s vanilla version, Microsoft announced better  performance with  multicore CPU’s, especially with AMD’s FX CPUs. What Microsoft said, Microsoft delivered. It is perfectly fine that new operating system brings better performance but we do not know why there is so much stuttering with Windows 7 OS. When we say stuttering we are not referring to frame drops or even Frametiming, we tested all that  and it brought us nothing. We believe that Framerating techniques would show what the users and we as well have experienced, however at the time of testing we didn’t have adequate  equipment to prove these claims but you can be sure that this is something we are going to be dealing with in the future.

I decided to visit the Battlefield forums again since I still can't play and I've heard no confirmation regarding this specific problem. Topics about technical issues are being closed and referred to EA's Answer HQ. I hate Answer HQ so I wanted to have some fun. Here's a little bit of the post:

• Custom config with recommended tweaks.
  • Change all the settings to low.
  • Run the 32 bit version.
  • Update all my drivers (Directx, Videocard, Windows update, etc)
  • Reinstall the game.
  • Unpark CPU cores or park them (both were suggested)
  • Change Physx setting in Nvidia Control Panel.
  • Close all other programs, including Chrome, when the game is starting.
  • Reinstalling Directx. Reinstalling all the executables in in the Battlefield folder.
  • Reinstalling Microsoft Framework.
  • Changed Nvidia Control Panel settings to  Max Pre-Rendered Frames to 1. Also disabled Geforce experience and did a clean install of the drivers without installing the HD audio driver.
  • Danced around the PC naked while doing an Voodo enchantment.
Edited by SpronyvanJohnson