Sprony

Wolfenstein Returns?

Good choice, we all know this would probably have been just your regular TDM/CTF/Domination package, which rarely feels like a worthwhile investment.

If they tried to go more of the Enemy Territory route I would be all for it though, that shit was dope!

' timestamp='1368052833' post='331670']Also, Spector has been doing this longer than most of us walked this world, he's seen a lot, people need to give him a break. You're gonna be strong opinionated too if you get to his age and managed to stick to this industry, lol.

I respect the man, I really really enjoyed the talk he gave at the last DICE.

But frankly, do you need to come out like this? I mean "today": this is just bad timing to me, to say this kind of things. You could say the same thing about most of the games, this was a generation of sequels for the most part; I mean there are certainly lesser intersting IPs that get sequels... Wolfenstein still has peculiar traits that make it more intersting to develop than other brands.

There are a ton of games i'm so not interested i'm not even aware they are coming out, but i don't go and flame-comment "who needs another of this", because if it's being made, there's probably an audience for that, and as a gamer i respect those who want more of that, and i respect even more the developers behind it (which maybe don't even want to make a sequel of "Title XYZ", but they need to, if they want to stay in business, and they do their best anyways).

So, in my opinion, totally not cool for a veteran, an icon, to say this kind of things, especially on this specific title.

He aplogized:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/spector-apologizes-for-wolfenstein-comments-6408092

Summarized:

"I'm sorry. I owe the Wolfenstein team an apology," Spector said. "I wasn't trying to diss you or your game. I have total respect for anyone making a game. I know how hard it is… And to everyone who pointed out that I didn't know enough about the game to judge, well, you were right. Consider this my mea culpa."

"No sour grapes here. None. I'm disappointed that people assume they know my motivations for saying what I said," Spector said. "I'm not bitter about the 'failure' of the Disney Epic Mickey games--I don't consider them failures. They're the two best-selling games I've worked on!"

"Though I was wrong to take out general frustrations on an individual game and on a single team, I'll stand by my overall statement about lack of variety and innovation in mainstream gaming," Spector said. "I was simply expressing, once again, my long-held belief that we make too many shooters, lots of which look, sound and feel like basically the same game dressed up in different clothes. I've been saying that for years--it's nothing new. Wolfenstein got in the line of fire, but I've been shooting at this target for a long time."

Teaser: i was hooked to this trailer... loved what they did to Hendrix song... and loved how the trailer ended (cool red tint, basic layout) Well taste, well done (guys that bethesda hired to make this teaser)!

idtech5: wow =D cool to seem that this curious technology will not die yet =D I loved the visuals in Rage, (must setup the config to use the 8192 pixels textures, and tweak the streaming stuff = amazing look). And these screenshots looks fantastic! (but could have less JJ abrams lens).

Warren: nhe... i agree with him some parts. There's a lot of FPS around... very similar but there's a lot of similar books, similar movies, similar songs... is mass market right, there's a lot of stuff that is the same, with different skins... not a good phenomena at all.

SP only: YES. This way team will be able to spend more resources on a good campaign :) very good.

' timestamp='1368135325' post='331783']Say all you want, he kinda spoke what we all think anyway.

Yes and no.

Yes, there's a good chunk of truth in the concept you can extrapolate from what he said, but he took it all out on a specific title. I don't think that was random, i mean, critics are always pointing their finger at modern shooters in the last few years, yet he takes on the only title that has been several years in hiatus, and which anyways offers a different setting.

And he's "disappointed" that people writes him and accuse him to be all bitter because his company close down... what was he expecting?

I dunno, it's simply the concept "we make only violent games" that is misplaced, he should know that, since the kind of titles he worked on. I think that this is just a bias because this kind of games get a lot of press, but i remember reading in the past that there are actually far more titles that are non-violent... we very well see at the mall that most boxes don't have an "M" on top of it, and the end global sales of non-violent games outsell shooters by great numbers.

Edited by blackdog

I agree with Warren on his points, there are a lot of the same FPSes going around, and it's sort of painful to watch. I'm not saying every new game should be the newest indie sensation with mechanics so hip your beard grows white within seconds, but I mean, we could have a small steady progression, or at least a different take on what Wolfenstein is. But then again, Wolfenstein has almost no narrative and seems solely based on world war II, give or take war crimes.

I am still of the opinion that the industry has a long way to go, but it is an industry, and publishers have to make money... apparently. And I doubt whatever talent is on the game wants to not do it either, since it's an industry that by all standard, still holds a tremendous amount of status and elitism, because it's FUN to WORK in the GAMES INDUSTRY.

EDIT:

LOL @ people being shallow thinking he was bitter about his own games being "failures". Also lol at people getting upset about this. It's free speech when it's best; the reason you don't like it is probably because it hits too close to home.

Edited by Sentura

EDIT:

LOL @ people being shallow thinking he was bitter about his own games being "failures".

I'm do not endorse that kind of response, but i'd say "lol on him" not expecting that kind of reaction. We all know what the Internet is ;)

Also lol at people getting upset about this. It's free speech when it's best; the reason you don't like it is probably because it hits too close to home.

I don't think that the devs at Machinegames bombarded him with ragemails so, what do you mean?

Edited by blackdog