Sprony

Wolfenstein Returns?

*Haven't played the game yet*

Wait... whaaaa ? Really ? Not sure......... How ?

attachicon.gifreally.png

Mmmm, so many games took inspiration from HL2 at this point, it's hard to say.

Wolf takes inspiration from a lot of places, many of them from oldschool FPS games, sure.

The addition of real Polish dialogue makes it for me. It's so fucking genuine when you understand what's being said, feels like it could have been in any movie about WWII (and it does at times). Blazko himself being of Polish descent is just icing on the cake.

The level design is amazing. The player choice of making it a gung-ho adventure a la the original or actually sit through it with a more serious tone like in Soldier of Fortune makes for a nice pacing choice when you get too tired of either.

Superbly made game. I never thought I'd say that about a Wolfenstein sequel, but there you go. 11/10

Edited by Sentura

Should I go back and play the old wolfenstein games before I dive into this one?  I was playing wolf 3D in 1993 (5 years old) :-D

You don't need to play RTCW at all for this but I'd seriously recommend you play it at some point as it is FABULOUS.

Really.

It's great.

Like the new order. They are both blow your balls off great. You get to shag a hot polish bird twice in the new order. Yeah you read that and are like "lol its game" but you get absorbed so much into the story and characters you do feel like you're there being a dirty pervert. "oh oh ojh oj fuck, sorry BJ, I'll let you get on with that... you fucking beast."

Like the new order. They are both blow your balls off great. You get to shag a hot polish bird twice in the new order. Yeah you read that and are like "lol its game" but you get absorbed so much into the story and characters you do feel like you're there being a dirty pervert. "oh oh ojh oj fuck, sorry BJ, I'll let you get on with that... you fucking beast."

You need to find yourself a girlfriend ;)

I don't think RTCW will hold a candle to the the new order, because it will probably not have any of the elements that I thought made the experience in TNO great. Not saying that RTCW isn't a good game, I've heard praise for it around -- but it just strikes as a game that's outside of what I enjoy playing.

Too much effort man. Games and cars are so much easier and simpler :v

Finished TNO earlier in the week, having got it for my birthday the week before and become almost instantly hooked! Here are my thoughts:

Pros

• Lots of optional exploration -- so many games these days think they have to have some sort of rudimentary economy system to make players look for treasure, when all you've actually got to do is sufficiently intrigue the player by making them feel like they're discovering something that other players might never see.
  • Every gun felt like it had a purpose, viz. every enemy was best dispatched with a certain weapon.
  • Duel wielding was more than just a John Woo tribute because you have to sacrifice corner peeking.
  • Great world design, supported by plenty of background story in the form of letters and audio recordings etc. It feels natural because it's not forced in the players' face. *
  • Loved being able to dream about Wolf 3D.
  • The narrative did a great job of ramping up the sense of tension, supported by increasingly oppressive environment design and hectic music.

Cons

• Horribly embarrassing sex scenes. I'm not a prude, but I've never come across a sex scene in a (non sexually themed) game that didn't make me cringe all over. Perhaps it's just my issue, but even when I'm on my own it's a feeling akin to the one when you're watching a film with "older" family members and an unexpected sex scene comes on.
  • I wished they'd explained the car journey between Berlin and London a bit more thoroughly. I like to think the Nazi's built some sort of super concrete bridge across the English channel, but if this is so it would've been great to see it in a cut scene at least!
  • * I would have liked to be able to listen to audio-logs whilst I'm running around, rather than having to sit in the menu.
  • Some of the fetch quests in the rebel HQ were rather dull and just felt like filler.
  • Could have done with a shortcut to quickly equip and use the LaserKraftWerk when in front of a cuttable surface.
  • Wanted more external moon action!
  • Some of the narrative time jumps felt a bit too sudden (case in point, what happened to Anya's grandparents?)

I'm sure there are more pros and cons that I can't remember right now, but in short it's the most enjoyable single player FPS I've played since Deus Ex:HR (though entirely different, so perhaps that's not a great comparison!).

Edited by text_fish

Too much effort man. Games and cars are so much easier and simpler :v

not if it's actually a nice girl. :)

Finally decided to get this since so many folks have been raving on about it. Pretty atrocious start to the game, but maaan does it pick up afterwards, really enjoying it now~~