Should I do it?

Golgo13

Hi Guys, I'm new here and didn't really know where to post this.

I LOVE level design...it's my passion, I started with cs then cs:source, I was making some nice levels. some stuff in my life happened and I couldn't take this to the next level and make a career out of it.

Now I'm a graphic / web designer but still have lvl design in my blood and I really want to have a Carree in it.

My question is and I'm sure it was asked before, I'm 32 years old and I'll be 33 Jan 1st, is it too late for me to start learning? Should I start learning maya or 3ds or I shouldn't bother?

I know the gaming industry is hard to get in and it's mostly young people, unless ur a senior then yes ur older, u get wht I mean.

Now be honest I can take it :D

It's never too late to pursue your dream. And if that's really what you want to do for a job then go for it. Even with 33 you still have around 30 years of work life ahead of you. Better to spent that with a job that you love then with something else that doesnt give you the same satisfaction.

But consider that you're not gonna get rich and that you have to be flexible with relocations. If you're the family type who plans to settle down with a family, build a house or whatever it's probably not the best job choice.

It's never too late to pursue your dream. And if that's really what you want to do for a job then go for it. Even with 33 you still have around 30 years of work life ahead of you. Better to spent that with a job that you love then with something else that doesnt give you the same satisfaction.

But consider that you're not gonna get rich and that you have to be flexible with relocations. If you're the family type who plans to settle down with a family, build a house or whatever it's probably not the best job choice.

this is basically what i wanted to say. don't sit and get burned out by doing something you don't like doing

Yeah, if your willing or can afford to take a pay cut to get an entry level job you should go for it! You can also do it as an advanced hobby by joining promising modifications, although you won't get the kind of resources that a professional studio has!

All the best!

Thank you all for your reply!! I think I'm gonna start to get ready with the tools I need and get crackin on this...I feel depressed every day that passes and I kinda envy people working in the gaming industry haha, I don't mind the pay cut as long as I'm happy doing what I do.

Thnx!

Deep inside you already know the answer, but let me say it out loud for you: YES!

Why the fuck have we've been put into this world if not to be happy and fight for our dreams? The ones that don't, which is the majority of the people unfortunately don't know what their missing.

Get a job you love, and you won't have to work a day in your life.

Just temper your optimism for your pursuit of your passion with the knowledge that most employers will treat you like garbage and work you to death, potentially destroy your love for your hobby, and once you learn a level designer's tricks, you can never unlearn them when trying to play games. Oh, and there's a high chance that even if you do good work that you'll get laid off at the end of the project because some unbroken newbie who could be paid less for similar or better quality work will likely be put through the same cycle you just experienced (or because the game you poured all of your passion and personal/professional time into could flop).

Alternately, you could potentially live a happy magical life loving what you do. Good luck!