Sign in to follow this  
Thrik

Crytek to make free-to-play games only

gutsy move

i think this will either be great for them or blow up in their face and sink the company.

considering how many satellite studios crytek has and how many depend on cry for their rent and food now ... i gotta say i feel uneasy about this kind of risk taking ...

I don't think you could call yourself f2p if you just change it to chapter based payment method.

Because that is pay to play, right? Same goes for subscription to play.

What they most likely will do is just sell cosmetic items like hats.. Gamers love hats

They still have Crysis 3 to finish and Crytek UK is doing the new Homefront so that still a big chunk of the studio doing retail stuff + that kinect game for Microsoft Rise or something.

I don't think you could call yourself f2p if you just change it to chapter based payment method.

Because that is pay to play, right? Same goes for subscription to play.

What they most likely will do is just sell cosmetic items like hats.. Gamers love hats

hats2play seems most likely. I can't see how else they would do it.

I think this is a really interesting, bold and exciting idea! Stoked to see how their products will turn out. What I want to know most before speculating too much is whether or not they are sticking with AAA glossy shooters or switching up genres? :shyguy:

Also, I imagine the idea is not so risky as it sounds; Crysis sells for $60 yes, and hoping people buy enough in game / expansion stuff sounds dicey but the idea here is that by removing the high price point a far greater number of people will buy into small chunks of the game say $10 for a map pack, $2 for a character skin or w/e. So instead of 5 out of 30 people paying $60 you end up with 22 out of 30 paying $10 - $50 (probably more for some people) over some time. The initial profit may be slightly lower, but what they make over time could be far greater. A few companies have successfully pulled this off, I'd like to see what Crytek plans to do!

We knew that the company was heading that direction, and I don't necessarily think it's a bad decision (although I am also concerned about the single-player immersion taking a hit in the process) however I'm not sure what was the benefit of making it an official announcement so soon.

In any case, we've got quite some time left before we reach the point where Crytek is working only on f2p titles anyway, so let's think about that later and focus on our current projects! :)

I hope Crytek will actually try something new other than the "freemium" model... The F2P market is a bubble, everyone is making those games and it will be hard to capitalize in the future.

Why not just turn into a self publisher and sell their games digitally for cheaper for example? I wonder why no big companies have done that yet. Minecraft is a great example of a successful game sold this way - you get the money straight from consumers, no 3rd party involved to bite a sum of the money, which means that $20 bucks sold on your "own platform" is probably worth more than $60 bucks sold on a retail store. But I could be wrong, this is just my opinion and I'm no games industry analyst...

Why not just turn into a self publisher and sell their games digitally for cheaper for example? I wonder why no big companies have done that yet. Minecraft is a great example of a successful game sold this way - you get the money straight from consumers, no 3rd party involved to bite a sum of the money, which means that $20 bucks sold on your "own platform" is probably worth more than $60 bucks sold on a retail store. But I could be wrong, this is just my opinion and I'm no games industry analyst...

Isnt that exactly what Valve is doing? Defo agree with you though.

As Corwin said, known about for some time but we've still got plenty of time left on boxed products with C3 and HF2 in the UK studio + Ryse in FF. That's only 2 out of 6 Crytek studios however, cant speak for the rest.

I hope Crytek will actually try something new other than the "freemium" model... The F2P market is a bubble, everyone is making those games and it will be hard to capitalize in the future.

I did not want to reply at first but this comment is really bothering me. Could you elaborate how you have come to this conclusion?

btw. I have read an interesting discussion between Cliffski and Nicholas Lovell on the subject not too long ago. Each of them brings up valid pros and cons, you can read it here: http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2012/0 ... he-debate/

I did not want to reply at first but this comment is really bothering me. Could you elaborate how you have come to this conclusion?

Market saturation, specially with garbage titles. The same happened with the tween/casual market on the DS and Wii and the mobile market.