E3 2012

Izuno

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

b5n9zg:iphone

[about the above image: Sony could have stayed longer on the board. It wasn't that bad. But MS and Nintendo were worse, indeed]

My first impression of the Portal 2's DLC "in motion" is not that good. http://sixense.com/portal2inmotion

Cube Scaling is pretty sweet, but Portal Surfing seems to be just a joke. I didn't see a demo where the player really had to use Portal Surfing to solve a puzzle. Still, they didn't release many videos. But my feeling is that Portal didn't need it and these features might not add much to the game.

Hmm....

The Last of Us was probably the most exciting from Day 1 since I am a biased fan of the Uncharted series.

Today I saw:

1) The gameplay demo of Beyond: Two Souls from Quantic Dream. Not unlike Naughty Dog, QD has taken its game tech to a similar evolution. Amazing visuals, and Ellen Page seems to be doing a good job acting for the main character from what I can tell. The only issue was there was a lot of Bourne-esque shaky cam but I think playing it is less annoying than watching someone else play it. I think if you liked Heavy Rain you'll probably really like this one.

2) Borderlands 2....and yes I am a very biased Borderlands 1 fan. I have to say, this game was incredibly fun to play. They had a 2 person coop demo of some level in the campaign. Having not actually played the original game in over 8 or 9 months, it took me about 5 seconds to recall how to play this game and it was like putting on comfortable shoes. I really like how it auto loots common items (money, ammo, health) and you only have to actually click on the weapons. A small but nice improvement, though it's not like that system was totally broken in BL1. Anyway, pretty sure this is worth a pre-order.

3) Metal Gear Rising Revengeance...bear with me...but they actually only had a playable tutorial demo. I was skeptical but it was fun. Raiden doesn't feel like douche...in fact he feels pretty badass. The sword play and slicing is incredibly satisfying. There is some stealth but it is primarily an action game. No, he isn't Snake. But it feels waaaaay more accessible than Bayonetta or Devil May Cry simply because it doesn't have all the trippy supernatural stuff.

4) Hawken. The dev team was really cool. They are using Unreal engine and it looks pretty polished for a pretty small team. Playing it was a but tough since I play lefty and was too lazy to reconfigure from righty mouse/kb setup. Anyway, it's slower than Halo MP but faster than say, something like World of Tanks. It's just multiplayer but it's definitely worth checking out the closed beta if you can get in. They said October for that and of course open beta on Dec 12 of this year. Will be interesting to see how F2P model works for them. They also said it should run well on low end / mid tier systems. And I believe it since the visuals weren't the sharpest in the world. However, the art design was very cool with that greenish take on District 9 thing as we all know about by now. They also said most newcomers take about 20 to 30 minutes to really get proficient with it. You can sprint and jump/fly using a limited powersupply that auto recharges when you are not using it. That was the nice (but obvious) way to balance it but it works. I used a mech with a gattling gun and a rocket...standard basic loadout. You also don't auto heal like in Halo or CoD or every other shooter now. Instead you have to find a corner to hide in and run the repair process, but you cant move and you are totally vulnerable again.

Otherwise was stuck in meetings.

Tomorrow I am going to see MSFT, Sony and Nintendo booths up close, as well as bug Mikey to sneak me into the A:CM multiplayer which I watched again for a little while. Looking sharp.

So as of now the most fun I had was definitely playing Borderlands 2. And they gave everyone a free T-shirt! I have been bought with swag!