Portal 2's The Perpetual Testing Initiative

selmitto

The limit to the size of the map is that of the Hammer Grid and the engine behind it (number of faces, number of vis leafs etc) and co-op entities are also instances, so I don't imagine this editor should have any issues making those levels too.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked someone at Valve over Steam Friends who confirmed there were no plans (he knew of) to convert this tool to any other game. You guys have to realize that instances are the only reason this thing even works. You could not create levels without this.

This seems like a really great move. Obviously the kind of artists on MapCore who enjoy pushing a game and engine to its limits are probably going to be less excited than your average dudes who might have some wonderful Portal puzzle ideas but lacks what it takes to turn them into nice, working levels; but it's a great step for keeping the Portal 2 community going and adding a whole other side to the experience.

And best of all, as generalvivi says it might even get people into level design the same way Valve's earlier games and mods did — which in today's increasingly complicated world of game development is only a good thing. :-D

This is pretty damn cool. For a long while I have been unable to understand that Valve didn't prioritize their tools higher, as seen with Source which by far has most ineffective work flow of any engine. This new initiative definitely shows that they still care :)

Huh... I am able to load my map into Hammer (Portal 2 Authoring Tools) but won't compile at all, just says finished .. turns out the tools are missing VBSP.exe

EDIT: Actually never mind, verified the files once and it turns out all files were there ... EXCEPT for vbsp

:v