Matt McDaniel - Level Design

neozyem

Hi,

New guy here, I would appreciate your help and suggestions with my portfolio website. I am currently employed as a video editor but would like to move into game development (level design). I have completed several maps using the Source SDK. I would love to work with a mod team or work in the game industry some day. Any tips would be awesome.

-thanks

my portfolio website: http://www.neozyem.com

Hey, the project layout looks good.

Some things to consider:

-the lighting in the bottom two projects screenshots is very dark, consider brightening the images or tweaking the lighting

-the bottom two projects screenshots don't give me enough information on how that level might play out, they don't give a great sense of the space the player moves through; what do you do in those maps? why?

-if you can, show some game play screenshots or even short videos

-it would help to show some pre-production; flow maps, level design documents. If you have not done these it's not a bad thing, but it is a good idea to show design documents and mapping skills (make maps to scale)

-if you have done any scripting for these projects you may want to show some of that as well

Your off to a good start, we just need to see the content in a way that we can understand better how it plays. The top project does the best job of this through the screenshots. Keep at it!

Hey, the project layout looks good.

Some things to consider:

-the lighting in the bottom two projects screenshots is very dark, consider brightening the images or tweaking the lighting

-the bottom two projects screenshots don't give me enough information on how that level might play out, they don't give a great sense of the space the player moves through; what do you do in those maps? why?

-if you can, show some game play screenshots or even short videos

-it would help to show some pre-production; flow maps, level design documents. If you have not done these it's not a bad thing, but it is a good idea to show design documents and mapping skills (make maps to scale)

-if you have done any scripting for these projects you may want to show some of that as well

Your off to a good start, we just need to see the content in a way that we can understand better how it plays. The top project does the best job of this through the screenshots. Keep at it!

Thanks for the feedback, I can brighten those pictures up pretty easy, good call.

I have links to videos underneath each project, did you noticed those? Maybe I should embed the videos Instead of providing a link?

I don't have any design documents but I do have some sketches I made on a notepad. Not sure if that would be helpful.

Would it be better to have a walk thru video or a promo video? The videos I have are more of the promotional nature.

Thanks

I can't say I noticed the video links, I was focused on the visuals I could see. What I would suggest is placing an image of some sort, that represents the video link. So perhaps it's a screenshot of a video player that is edited with text that says to click here to download or stream the video. I suggest streaming the videos from vimeo; people don't necessarily want to download them, but having the option is nice. I also recommend not embedding the videos; I set up my portfolio recently and presumably the reason it's currently slow to access, aside from my bad host, is due to the embedded videos. I am planning on providing external links, similar to how I just suggested.

It may be worth making up some clean versions of your notepad designs. Post some here so we can get a look at what exactly they look like, and what they contain. I personally am a big fan of the rough notes from the creative process but I have not seen anyone show them in a portfolio yet. So it is probably best to make nice clean versions.

Promotional videos aren't a bad idea; they can show that you are able to do some good video editing. I do enjoy the videos where people talk about their design choices while showing certain things happening, this is also something I plan on doing in the near future myself.

Hi :) good portfolio!

I have to say, I didn't notice the video link - as Marvin said make the link visual

I also like to see a little about why you made the level or what the objectives are - a bit of text doesn't go astray

GUNZ! RAZORZ! KNIVEZ! isn't a great name for a video link from a portfolio ;)

Cubes looks like an amazingly fun level after watching the video, but your portfolio doesn't show that - so a description of why you made it and/or maybe some comments from some of the people who playtested / judged the comp probably wouldn't be out of place.