The way I see it is, I have my Steam library which is where pretty much all of my digital games are held. I don't want to have to another place to keep my games, I should be able to just whack it in my Steam library.

The whole Steam vs Origin thing kinda reminds me of Bluray vs HDDVD... Or VHS vs Betamax :P

Origin is ok. It's no Steam but it's ok.

It has good download speeds but the prices of games on there are ridiculous.

Crysis 3 is £40 for the hunter edition or £55 for the Digital Deluxe (which is basically some unlocks and skins)

Sim City V is £45 for the Limited Edition or a whopping £65 for the DD (which includes a few buildings styles)

And The Sims 3 is still £30 years after its been released.

I've never paid any of those prices for a brand new PC game let alone one that is years old. I always thought that digital copies of games were to be cheaper since there's nothing physical to create bar the server costs.

Seriously though, I just find it pointless that I have to use Origin. I'm not interested in Crysis 3 MP, and if I buy a hard copy of the game, why should I have to use Origin?

I feel you but... just like Steam. We just accept the latter because overall it's a better service and we bought into that system first.

It has good download speeds but the prices of games on there are ridiculous.

[...]

I always thought that digital copies of games were to be cheaper since there's nothing physical to create bar the server costs.

Steam games are priced just as much when there isn't any sale going on.

As for game prices, I discuss with others all the time... frankly I don't think that a retail package would justify a 10-20+ $/€ difference most people would like to see, stock delivery doesn't cost that much. People also tend to consider just the cost of first buy, but on Steam you do download a game several times.

As a comparison, I recently found an article (in Italian) that reported Apple paying $3.5 billions/year to maintain its iTunes service (Apps alone return is $4 billions/year - but that's not the 30% "fee").

Personally I simply don't buy anything above a certain cost, fuck D1.

Edited by blackdog

£55 for the Digital Deluxe (which is basically some unlocks and skins)

Not to mention Crysis 1, Crysis 2 Maximum Edition, all the preorder packs and bonus and the soundtrack...

Steam games are priced just as much when there isn't any sale going on.

Most games rarely go above £30-35 though. It's only in rare cases they go above that price. Even then it's constantly on "10% discount" to make it look like we're saving money.

£55 for the Digital Deluxe (which is basically some unlocks and skins)

Not to mention Crysis 1, Crysis 2 Maximum Edition, all the preorder packs and bonus and the soundtrack...

I didn't see that you got all that too. But still, if you're a hardcore fan of the series you're already going to own all that stuff.

Most games rarely go above £30-35 though. It's only in rare cases they go above that price. Even then it's constantly on "10% discount" to make it look like we're saving money.

So you are lucky, and I should use a proxy to buy games :D because right now I am asked for 49.99€ (42.9£) for every full-price game on rotation on the Steam Store homepage. None is discounted.

The average gamer:

Review scores are not trustworthy!

Crysis 2 has an higher metascore than Crysis 3

Crysis 3 is worse than its predecessor

ops.gif

(At least that's what they are saying in the forum i'm moderating.)

By the way the IGN and Gamespy reviews are positive and confirm my expectations.

"I've always thought of Crysis 2 as an underrated game: it's a meaty, largely well-designed shooter that's polished, atmospheric, and gives players a ton of excellent opportunities to creatively blow shit up. It's also superior to Crysis 3 in almost every way. Crysis 2 feels like an ambitious game made by developers who were unafraid to take their time and get things right. Crysis 3 feels like it was hurried out the door, almost as though Crytek was clearing out old business before re-focusing on free-to-play games."

"Crysis 3's level design often feels overly narrow, but a couple of times it also feels too big. It's a cop-out of me to keep saying that "something feels off," but that's the best way to encapsulate the design of the game—almost every level just feels a bit off. Disorienting, difficult to navigate, with the open areas feeling too open and the enclosed areas feeling claustrophobic."

"Should you play this game? NO

WHY: Lovely graphics aside,
Crysis 3
is a mostly mediocre shooter in which fancy visuals faintly disguise haphazard design and a lack of technical polish."

doubt.gif

Edited by blackdog

"I've always thought of Crysis 2 as an underrated game: it's a meaty, largely well-designed shooter that's polished, atmospheric, and gives players a ton of excellent opportunities to creatively blow shit up. It's also superior to Crysis 3 in almost every way. Crysis 2 feels like an ambitious game made by developers who were unafraid to take their time and get things right. Crysis 3 feels like it was hurried out the door, almost as though Crytek was clearing out old business before re-focusing on free-to-play games."

"Crysis 3's level design often feels overly narrow, but a couple of times it also feels too big. It's a cop-out of me to keep saying that "something feels off," but that's the best way to encapsulate the design of the game—almost every level just feels a bit off. Disorienting, difficult to navigate, with the open areas feeling too open and the enclosed areas feeling claustrophobic."

"Should you play this game? NO

WHY: Lovely graphics aside,
Crysis 3
is a mostly mediocre shooter in which fancy visuals faintly disguise haphazard design and a lack of technical polish."

doubt.gif

why do you keep quoting all the negative reviews? there's far more positive ...