UDK One-Texture Environment

sarge mat

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the environment definitely looks cool for what it is I think the final product suffers a lot from this limitation. There is obviously no material variation, everything is made from the same reflective metal surface. It's a nice exercise and I'm sure the guy had a lot of fun working on it but I really hope that doesn't become an excuse to not make textures for your environments (already saw 2 other "1 texture" environments on other forums..).

Material variation is one of the most important aspects of making an environment interesting. I'm not talking about using more textures, but having different materials. I'm gonna sound like Sentura now but the way the human brain works is by comparing 2 (or more) elements against each other. For example: Let's say you have a huge ass building with a large flat facade. If you don't have any ground-level details for scale reference the whole building is gonna look way out of proportion and disturbing. This is also the reason why it's always good to include a character model in your screenshots for scale reference and always have a character model inside your scene for quick reference when modeling. This is also true for materials. If you want to have your metal look and feel like metal, it's a good idea to place it next to other different materials, such as concrete or wood. This is definitely something I would have explored further on Zest Foundation if I was to make it today.

please, like i know fuck all about anything. i am just being grumpy and bitter that other people have better ideas than me. and minos is a fucking tranny so fuck his opinion amirite. go usa! go jesus!

Haha that's very humble of you Rick. I'm exactly the same, but people just get pissed off when I say that kinda stuff ;)

please, like i know fuck all about anything. i am just being grumpy and bitter that other people have better ideas than me. and minos is a fucking tranny so fuck his opinion amirite. go usa! go jesus!

Haha that's very humble of you Rick. I'm exactly the same, but people just get pissed off when I say that kinda stuff ;)

and you guys stilll give a fuck ? :]