Sign in to follow this  
Rick_D

Industry Professionals Share Nuggets of Information

If going for a coffee, always leave the nicest part of your model/texture up on the screen so people stupidly think you're awesome.

- Draw hidden dicks on the textures of game artists going for a coffee pause

My friend once did that to my other friend at college. He replaced a certain noun he was using a lot, with 'penis'. He handed that essay in as well :shock::shock::crazy:

- Sometimes when taking a pause outside, on ten people a guy talks alone and the others make a circle around him and remain silent. Then one guy of the circle suddenly goes back to work, and all the others take the occasion to get back to work too

If going for a coffee, always leave the nicest part of your model/texture up on the screen so people stupidly think you're awesome.

My friend once did that to my other friend at college. He replaced a certain noun he was using a lot, with 'penis'. He handed that essay in as well :shock::shock::crazy:

One of my colleagues once added 'STEVE IS A BUMMER' to the header of a website design the lead designer had left on the screen (grey on black so it didn't jump out), who was of course the Steve in question. Unfortunately the lead designer put the site up without checking it again as it'd already been completed and checked — and it remained this way until the client pointed it out several weeks later. :oops:

Angle your monitors away from where people walk, so you can browse Mapcore/Facebook/Polycount/Reddit without the higher ups seeing.

Pretty much everybody who comes into my floor walks past my monitors. I had Mapcore open on one of them for most of the day today. COS THATS HOW I ROLL.

Also - if you're looking for a pay rise, leaving your browser open on recruitment forums and job postings while you're away from your desk on lunch is a great tip :)

- If your superiors notice that you've been looking at recruitment/job sites and you see your position appear on the company website's 'Careers' section a few weeks later, accelerate your job seeking.

Haha, we're doing that all the time.

Haha, we're doing that all the time.

I thought this was impossible to not have happen. What I mean is, its not possible to paint a good texture without having something resembling a dick on there.

a large majority of people working in the game industry know nothing about actually developing games at all! They have no skills in design, programming or art production, literally the only things necessary to develop a game. This still blows my mind every day :)