[UDK] Sci-Fi Stuff. Looking for advice!

AkiRa

Hi together,

I'am a beginner in enviorment creation and I'am currently working on an sci-fi styled level in UDK and got stuck.

Now I'am looking for advice to improve it since it lacks a bit of ideas at the moment.

Here are some shots of the current progress:

highresscreenshot00003.jpg

highresscreenshot00002.jpg

highresscreenshot00002w.jpg

Looking forward to hear what you think!

Any C&C is really appreciated! :)

Thank you in advance!

Hey Latteh thanks for your reply and the tipps!

Atm I'am working on some kind of "wall support" thing to fill up the walls in that medical room.

I plan to add some hanging lockers between two of the wall support units later. Also some desks, computer terminals, smaller medical equipment and machines to controll those robotic arms.

Furthermore I'll add some more pipes to the corridor but I don't really know where to place them atm. Maybe some smaller ones on the ceiling?

Don't have any ideas for the design of those things yet. Will maybe do some sketching. :)

Thank you Rick_D!

Yes, I know it lacks variation atm. I'am thinking about things to break up the repetition but I still wait for some good ideas. :)

I know the Deus Ex HR concepts. I love the style of the game and the concepts are awesome but for some reason I can't find solutions to transfer some of the "ideas" into the complete diffrent art sytle of my enviorment.

I'll absolutely take a look at the Natural Selection concept arts. Just googelt it quick and it seems to be awesome!

i think you want to:

- turn of every other point-light and boost the intensity of those that are left

- add cubemap reflection to almost all materials

-that red PAINT stripe on the wall going over those panels make one big one rather than 3 small ones per wall

@Vilham:

Thank you! :)

I'll think about adding some hatches. Just looking for a place for them.

@Thrik:

Thanks a lot! :)

@Warby:

turn of every other point-light and boost the intensity of those that are left

I don't really what you exactely mean. Everywhere you see emissive surfaces, a point light was placed. I don't know wich ones to turn off.

add cubemap reflection to almost all materials

There is a cubemap reflection on all parts of the corridor and also on the walls and ceiling in the room.

that red PAINT stripe on the wall going over those panels make one big one rather than 3 small ones per wall

Good tipp, thanks a lot! I'll try this immediately! :)

Perhaps give the hospital room some shape, the gurney's could roll into "bays"

It's very square, and there's only so much you can dress up a square, dressing up a shapelier shape in the same way you'd dress up the square may inherently look better.

You could perhaps think about where the doctor's would stand, make that part of the floor different. etc. Sometimes if you think about how the room is used the details flow naturally.

i appreciate the desire to detail the floor of the corridor like you have, but it just looks like a sprained ankle.. err toe... waiting to happen...perhaps sink the panels (so you can keep the relief) and put a corresponding grate system over them to even the floor surface?

You are right. :)

I'll look for a new design and make them flatter.

neat, try adding some white painted panels, still metal though. And breakup the blue ambient lighting by making the white panels look white - could look cool and breakup that avatar feeling you have right now.

Hey, thanks for that tipp! Here is what it looks like with white panels:

udk02.jpg

I also need to modify the lighting to make those panels look really white. Just need to figure out how to exactly do it. :)

Perhaps give the hospital room some shape, the gurney's could roll into "bays"

It's very square, and there's only so much you can dress up a square, dressing up a shapelier shape in the same way you'd dress up the square may inherently look better.

You could perhaps think about where the doctor's would stand, make that part of the floor different. etc. Sometimes if you think about how the room is used the details flow naturally.

I'll try to give it some rounder, softer forms maybe. Thanks for your tipp!

BTW:

I've started building the starboard cargo now. Still WIP:

udk01.jpg