Sign in to follow this  
knj

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Soo i just finished the demo 3,5 gigs, 15 min of play FTW !

it feels like Kojima is working on it, it got that small MGS world vibe, but damn this game aint worth having METAL GEAR in the name, it just like a DMC but not as good, but the cutting shit thing is quite good, but still, as i expected this won be on my shelf at this point

It's out today. Time to get revenge..ance. Well, some people are liking it:

http://kotaku.com/5985250/metal-gear-rising-revengeance-the-kotaku-review?tag=review

Had completely written this off after Platinum took over, but after watching a few videos with people playing it then I gotta admit that it actually looks pretty cool (in a super stupid way).

Also I need to know more about what happens to the Patriots O_O

Also I need to know more about what happens to the Patriots O_O

Where else is there to know? MGS4 wrapped the story perfectly. The patriots ended with the death of Zero.

Shit... that made me wanna

:P

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/s634jn/metal-gear-rising--revengeance-launch-trailer

That was rather... awesome. i bet kojima was involved, i mean a 7min long trailer? He had too.. xD

I played the demo and it was actually really good. Excellent production values and graphics, engaging cutscenes, and an interesting continuation of the Metal Gear Solid lore — looks like after MGS4 things move towards human-shaped robot PMCs, a logical next step after the partially organic ones in MGS4.

While it's a side-story, I guess this is how Kojima envisions the post-MGS4 world so in that respect it's still interesting to see. The next proper MGS game(s) might not even take place after MGS4 so it might be the only glimpse we get in the remote future. A lot of work has clearly been done to satisfy the story needs of MGS's existing fans.

All that said, I won't be buying it. The gameplay is completely along the lines of something like Bayonetta or the earlier Devil May Cry games, in that it's fucking hard. I don't mind hack-and-slash, but I prefer the more accessible approaches of games like God of War and Darksiders. This on the other hand is proper hard-as-knackers shit. The boss fight in the demo was so difficult I was practically in tears of frustration and turned the console off in a huff. :sad:

So basically, if you love MGS's storytelling and hardcore hack-and-slash games, this is likely a great buy. Hell, even if you don't care about the story this is probably still a great buy. But if you're expecting anything even vaguely like the past MGS games' gameplay you'd better throw those expectations out the window.

I think there are some pacing issues in the demo. You get dropped in this world with a weird mix of Platinum extreme action (which is awesome, shame on the lot of you), stealth mechanics, and a watermelon cutting simulator, and then after barely a walk down the street you’re thrown into a boss fight before you’ve really processed any of it.

For instance while killing the Gekko’s I had no idea that blue means go into Blade Mode and start cutting it up... so I’d just hang upside down in slow-motion for like 10 seconds waiting for the next QTE prompt.

I beat the boss on normal without too much trouble. You can just walk forwards parrying attacks (Forward + Hold X) until you’re in melee distance and then mash like it’s Track & Field. If he glows orange without attacking and emotes something (“you will die,” “can your human mind blah blah”) then he’s about to do some unblockable dashes you have avoid. At 66% and 33% after recovering he’ll pop off and wait for you to kill some fodder enemies. There are two rations in the arena too, which is nice.

Edited by Taylor