Sign in to follow this  
knj

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Watching that trailer reminded me of the fake movie trailers in Grindhouse. Sure, they're entertaining on their own, but they're not meant to actually fulfill a real, completed project!

this !

also bayonetta sucked ass and this looks like its going to be the same level of schlock .. so no thanks !

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/329654/kojima-reveals-metal-gear-solid-5-ideas/

... so you have liquid snake, solid snake and naked snake, who is also known as big boss, but who is different from the guy they call the boss. what the hell.

It's actually not confusing at all if you've played the games. I know people like to claim that MGS's story is crazy and stupid, but I actually find it quite an enjoyable and intelligently written story, one of the few in games I'd go so far as to say gets me emotionally involved with the characters and makes me genuinely care about their fates. It's probably also down to the fact we've been following these same characters since we were like 12, but I've had a great time getting into the MGS games and their sometimes overly-philosophical yet immersive worlds.

It's easy to sit on a fence taking pot shots at the MGS series but I'm always willing to stand up and say that despite some flaws that it has, it's one of the most lovingly and finely produced series of all time and unless a sincere attempt has been made to play them without predispositions and bias people need to have a big cup of STFU. :cool:

Getting back to the actual point here, Hideo's ideas for MGS5 seem reasonable to me. The one thing I've been afraid of is them trying to continue the story beyond MGS4's time frame, because that game tidies up all the storyline threads of the last decade up so well it'd just be ridiculous to keep it going. It'd be like when the Trotters finally got rich in Only Fools and Horses after decades of trying, only to take it all away from them again in a later, final Christmas special. It was annoying and diluted the magnitude of the previous episodes tremendously.

Another prequel like MGS3 would be nice though. MGS3 remains my favourite game in the series precisely because it went back to the 60s and most of the high-tech stuff from the other games was left out entirely. The story was also a lot more self-contained, and had a more realistic tone to it than the other games; interestingly it also has the least lengthy cutscenes in the entire series, with everything moving along pretty quickly. It was a fantastic one-off in a series that's otherwise been preoccupied with a massive, complex web of plots. I'd love to see another one-off story that's otherwise unconnected, rather than see them try to continue either the near future or 60s storylines.

Also I need to get the MGS HD collection so I can play this shit in HD:

D3adlode should get this one too considering his Russia obsession. :cool:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/329654/kojima-reveals-metal-gear-solid-5-ideas/

... so you have liquid snake, solid snake and naked snake, who is also known as big boss, but who is different from the guy they call the boss. what the hell.

ToastyFrog Thumbnail Theatre sums up the plot to MGS games quite well.

231bL.gif Solidus: I'll leave you alive, Jack, because you're still manipulable!

ei1P7.gif Fortune: Speaking of manipulation, it's time for me to steal Arsenal since I've been manipulating you from the start!

231bL.gif Solidus: Actually, I tricked Ocelot into manipulating you into manipulating me!

zg4FJ.gif Ocelot: Fools! I've been manipulating everything from behind the scenes!

TpLcT.jpg Magic Hand: But actually, I've been manipulating you!

wps2p.gif Raiden: Alright, this has officially become a load of crap.

I'm not sure Kojima wants to do more MGS games to be honest, read all these interviews where he says he feel trapped by what he calls the creature he created. What i saw when playing the 4rd MGS is that he was trying to kill the serie, inverting the legendary codes from the first MGS, making it more action based, having you playing Metal Gear, getting to an all empty shadow moses populated by robots, like if you were visiting a museum to make you understand it's well dead. The story was taking so much directions, you can't possibly take it seriously.

So i don't have any hope for another very good MGS to be honest, i think this is it :cry:

maybe it's just me, but the lack of creativity in the story and names of characters just makes me want to perform a diving frankensteiner on kojima. that aside, i still love the gameplay. i'm just wondering why he doesn't make a new series that has nothing to with mgs but is still in the same vein

i'm just wondering why he doesn't make a new series that has nothing to with mgs but is still in the same vein

Guaranteed sales from the established MGS fan base.

i'm just wondering why he doesn't make a new series that has nothing to with mgs but is still in the same vein

Guaranteed sales from the established MGS fan base.

that's a solid point, but as far as i know, loads of mgs fan hate Rising at this point