The Last of Us

Mazy

Yes it's getting addicting to take picture of every fucking part of that game :v

10384349_10201388779120275_4462639422968

So I've played it, still love it ! :) BUT i really like that they work on shaders to make it look better. I'm a guy that will make a shader look good (not 100% realistic) they had the same approach here - which is great but only in MOST of the cases, there are some strange looking shaders like wet pavement which works like mirror, or old rusted metal that have super clean bright spec :) Also those new shaders break down some of the geo due to stronger spec. They have sooo many geo errors like fucked up verts normals (I see that all the time)>
Anyways still loving this game !

Yeah, still having problems with this. I just don't find the gameplay particularly compelling. It's hyperpolished and a lot of things are "cleverly" designed but it just doesn't entertain me too much atm.

This is weird. As far as PS4 games are concerned, I was really looking forward to this and a bit skeptical of Destiny. The roles have been reversed.

• 1 month later...

So, luckily, I got into this game after a little while (didn't take too long). And what a game it was! The Left Behind DLC was also fantastic (just finished it minutes ago).

I liked the game because the story wasn't spoonfed by constantly interrupting the gameplay and the gameplay was actually gameplay and not a meaningless shooting gallery. The game had continous, great gameplay sequences which were divided by story moments which allowed you to take a breather. The story added fantastic context to the gameplay and the gameplay enhanced your attachment to the story. Speaking of story, it was really gritty and damn good.  :shock: 

Give Last of Us 2 plix!

Man I loved it on PS3 but I couldn't bring myself to pay another 65 euros to replay it on PS4. Such a shame there is no upgrade package available and probably never will.

Do you guys have gamestop over there? They were giving away really good deals if you brought your PS3 copy and get a PS4 copy for it.

Man I loved it on PS3 but I couldn't bring myself to pay another 65 euros to replay it on PS4. Such a shame there is no upgrade package available and probably never will.

Do you guys have gamestop over there? They were giving away really good deals if you brought your PS3 copy and get a PS4 copy for it.

No we do not have a Gamestop unfortunately:( I am very disapointed in the lack of an option to upgrade. I understand they want to increase their sales and revenue but ugh poor customer/fan service :(

• 2 months later...

Just finished it (stop reading if you haven't). That ending, right in the feels. I had very strong feelings about not wanting Ellie to be sacrificed and I made damn sure I killed every last one of them who tried. Even the nurse and Marlene, that bitch had it coming. No loose ends. It felt good. But then the question came and he straight up lies. She knows it, you can see it her eyes and it breaks my heart. It's setup in a way that you’re supposed to struggle with the morality of the scenario and guess what? I am! Props Naughty Dog for making me feel this way.

I also finished this today after starting it on Wednesday. I'm guessing a lot of people got free download codes for PS4.

Storytelling is great and the ending was a bit of a kicker, even though you guessed this would be the ending scenario back when you were walking around with Tess. It does seem that Ellie would have agreed to it if asked. But Joel goes around breaking off pipes in people faces again, anyway.

Ending was anti-climatic gameplay wise. I guess it was better than a Naughty Dog Boss Fight, though.

I also finished this today after starting it on Wednesday. I'm guessing a lot of people got free download codes for PS4.

Storytelling is great and the ending was a bit of a kicker, even though you guessed this would be the ending scenario back when you were walking around with Tess. It does seem that Ellie would have agreed to it if asked. But Joel goes around breaking off pipes in people faces again, anyway.

Ending was anti-climatic gameplay wise. I guess it was better than a Naughty Dog Boss Fight, though.

Yeah, but I'm with Joel. Wouldn't you do the same? Ellie is just naive. She hasn't been there for more than a day and the Fireflies already decide she has to die. No further tests, no observation and no guarantee for success. There's a lot of online debate about the tape recorders you find and whether or not there have been other people like her, but let's forget about that or about the lack of a guarantee. Let's say she's the cure and they successfully extract it from her. Then what? The world has gone to shit. How are they going to vaccinate everyone? Do they even have the means to do so? No they haven't. Plus, lots of territories are under army control. It feels more like a desperate power struggle from the Fireflies then anything else.

It's been 20 years or so and people are still surviving. There are pockets of civilization like Boston or Tommy's settlement. Even the bandits and cannibals are surviving. Humankind will find a way to deal with it. In fact they've adopted rather well. Her sacrifice it not going to change any of that. It's in vain. So even in the car, Joel doesn't really lie. I mean, he killed everyone so it's logical to assume they stop searching for a cure now that they're all dead. Even the talk about others like her can be seen as the truth depending on how you interpret the voice recordings. No what got me is that when she really asked in the very end, he doesn't tell her about killing them all and she knows it. That I would never do. Anyway, for those who felt bad about the ending, this will cheer you up (from Naughty Dog themselves):

One Night Live Epilogue 

After a live performance of some of the most pivotal scenes, creator Neil Druckmann released an epilogue to the epilogue, taking place a few weeks[3] after the end of the game. The One Night Live epilogue is quoted by Druckmann as a way of “saying goodbye” to Joel and Ellie."

The curtain rises and we see Ellie sitting in what appears to be a normal room for a teenage girl in the post-apocalyptic world, with posters all over the wall, some of which like 'The Dawn of the Wolf' poster we have seen earlier in the game. The bedroom is simple: a bed, nightstand, lamp, desk and a swivel chair that Ellie is sitting in. She appears to be writing something as she glances out the window, the light of the moon outside lighting her desk. Ellie is listening to her infamous walkman and headphones, music playing away.

Joel walks in and knocks on the door, calling Ellie's name. After a couple attempts, he enters the room and taps her shoulder, startling her. "I didn't mean to scare you," Joel starts. Ellie stands up and waves him off, saying that it's okay as she pulls off her headphones. She leans against the desk and, after a bit of an awkward pause, asks Joel "What's up?" There is some tension in the air — when Druckmann set the scene, he said that this was after Joel lied to Ellie, and his intonation made it seem that Ellie was knowledgeable of that fact. This explains the dissonance of the scene and potential resentment Ellie has for Joel.

Joel starts off slowly, saying that they haven't talked for a little while and he wanted to check in on her. He tells her that some kids found some water guns and were playing with them outside that day. He had hoped to have seen Ellie out there playing too. Ellie quickly responds by telling him that she's more needed repairing the outer wall with Maria and that she doesn't have time for that. Sitting down on the corner of the bed, Joel tells her that everyone has been really impressed with Ellie but that it's okay to take a break from work every once in a while. Joel can sense that he isn't getting anywhere and changes the subject.

He talks about how how Tommy has made him part of their militia group and that things have "calmed down out there somewhat." Tommy apparently has paired Joel up with a woman named Esther, with Joel confessing that he thinks Tommy wants to see them "hitched." "She's got a great sense of humor, Ellie...I think you'd like her. Why, just the other day she told me one of them jokes that you like...now how did it go?" While Joel starts mumbling to himself, trying to remember the joke, Ellie interrupts. She mentions that it is late and that she needs to get going with the additional repairs needed for the outer wall. Joel is a bit deflated, but quickly recovers. "I have something I want to show you. It'll just take a minute. One minute." Joel leaves through the bedroom door and quickly returns with a guitar in hand.

"What's that supposed to be?" Ellie says, somewhat sarcastically. "Well I done hear that some people call this a gui-tar." Joel says, really pouring on his Texan accent. He gets a laugh from the audience and a quiet chuckle out of Ellie."I know that," Ellie says and asks him again what it is for. Joel sits down on Ellie's bed and confesses that he has been working on a song for some time. "I started working on it...well, that's not important," hinting that he may have originally begun writing it for Sarah. Ellie sits in her swivel chair, drawing up one of her legs to her chest as Joel begins to play and sing select verses from "Future Days" by Pearl Jam.

The musical performance is tender as Joel sings about the pain that they've gone through and how much it means to him that they still have each other — "you and I." It is uncertain whether or not it was Ashley Johnson or what Ellie was supposed to be doing, but as Troy/Joel performed, Ashley/Ellie silently shed a few tears, wiping them away slowly. As the guitar and Joel fall silent, an emotional Ellie quietly responds "That was beautiful, Joel." The tension and distance between Joel and Ellie is gone now, replaced with genuine fatherly-daughterly love. Joel thanks Ellie, stands and extends the guitar to her. "What...I can't play, Joel." "I know...but I promised you that I would teach you how to play guitar. Take it. It's yours."

Ellie, touched that Joel remembered, reaches out and takes it saying, "You did." A warm silence falls and Joel begins to excuse himself. "It's getting late and we both need our rest." Joel heads for the door as Ellie falls back into her swivel chair. "What was the joke you heard the other day?" Ellie says, breaking the silence and bringing Joel to a full stop before exiting through the door. Joel turns around, and with a soft smile on his face asks, "What's the hardest part about eating clocks?" Ellie shakes her head and puts up her hands, giving up. Joel smirks and says, "It's time consuming."

They both share a little laugh. "That is pretty bad," a smiling Ellie responds. "Yeah, it's one of the worst I've heard," says Joel. "Well, goodnight, Ellie." Joel walks out the door, a little slow to remove his hand from the door frame. Ellie picks up the guitar to her chest and looks it over slowly. She rests it in her lap and plucks a single note as the lights come down

I'm not saying her dying would have been better, but it is what she would have chosen.

The way I see it is the way most pockets of civilisation fall apart are “BUT WHO IS THE REAL MONSTER?” situations where survivors fuck each other over, or one infected getting in which then snowballs and kills everyone. A vaccine could feasibly have prevented what happened to the sewer playschool, Tess, Sam and Henry, etc.

The goal of a vaccine wouldn’t be to make the whole world immune, but to protect these strongholds from the latter. It must be worth it for The Greater Good or there wouldn’t be a moral quandary, but Joel feels betrayed by the Fireflies and Marlene because he wasn’t given the choice. And Joel is very much unconcerned with other people, the earlier comments from Ellie about “how many innocents have you killed?” and Tommy having nightmares about how Joel kept them alive doesn’t paint the picture of someone who wants to save the world. Endure and survive, etc.

But if they need to kill Ellie to extract what’s making her immune to create a vaccine, then that kind of implies they can’t actually manufacture a vaccine anyway. And if you’re going to waste that shit on the Fireflies, who are the least at risk of infected, who cares? Also, I know nothing about how vaccines are made.

Edited by Taylor

Yes, but still, it has to be made and distributed. Lost cause if you ask me. But I'm with you in regards to Joel. He's seen too much and doesn't give a fuck about anything. Ellie breaks his wall and he'll do anything to keep her safe so yes, the whole ending is him being selfish and not accepting losing another 'daughter'. Remember, it ends exactly how it begins with him carrying his baby girl and being defenseless. So me justifying that it just that. Joel wouldn't have need any justification. I think he would set the world on fire and everyone in it if it means not losing her.

• 5 years later...

[EDIT] Apologies for opening a topic, I finally managed to find the original topic using " " in the google search (the topic doesn't come up with the forum search) - @FMPONE / @[HP] can you merge my topic with this?

~

Anyway, I've started playing the "Remastered" on PS4 a while ago and after the latest progress (I got to the sewers camp) I wanted to ask if this game really feels like Half-Life life in many sections -- i'm thinking level design and environments.

I'm admiring how everything feels "right", from environments to details like animations... you can really see the painstaking attention to details from this studio (shame it comes with the price heard in recent crunch reports). The other thing I keep admiring is the soft-stealth that has been implemented, playing cat and mouse in the hotel doesn't feel different than Splinter Cell... except the stakes are higher as Joel is not OP as Sam Fisher; I replayed the very first sneak sandbox the game offers several times just to try different approaches even when succeding in the scenario, I love how you can stun-charge-kill and then disappear, attracting other NPCs on location.
Too bad the checkpoint/save system REALLY SUCKS, I can understand PS3 limitations, but this should have been revised for the Remastered verions, or at least ND could have opted for a "chapter unlock" system to allow replaying certain sections.

I was also reflecting that I'm really happy I waited this long to play it: I don't think the saddening intro scene would have hit me as strongly as it did if I hadn't become a dad in the last year, the sequence actually made me feel something.

Edited by blackdog

• 3 weeks later...

Been up most part of the last three nights and completed this!

Outstanding game, shoots at the top of the best narrative games. This alone was worth getting the PS4.

Any Mapcorean worked on this?

I realised there actually is a chapter unlock, I’ll definitely replay the winter section, the sandbox maps on the shore are so beautifully designed, it was incredibly fun to predate on the scavengers.

~
I can’t shake off my head the parallels with HL in terms of level design, might just be the choice of locations… I guess we’ve seen it “all“.

I dunno how this is possible, but it also felt the infected AI was less consistent two-thirds if the way in, with clickers suddenly detecting me from further away sometimes, despite being sneaky, despite having got past the very same ones without a problem on previous attempts of the same section, with them even almost colliding with me at times.

Edited by blackdog