Sign in to follow this  
deceiver

Rainbow Six: Patriots

Somebody should make a "Rant about common modern game design elements" thread :lol:

in all seriousness, i think a thread about the state of design in the industry would be a worthwhile addition to this forum. i know some of you people are just itching to talk shit about random games and or give constructive inputs on how to improve games through design.

Somebody should make a "Rant about common modern game design elements" thread :lol:

in all seriousness, i think a thread about the state of design in the industry would be a worthwhile addition to this forum. i know some of you people are just itching to talk shit about random games and or give constructive inputs on how to improve games through design.

Like... who the fuck idea was it to remove medpacks from my games? :mad:

I'm pretty sure if I were to participate in such a thread I would end up posting a gigantic rant about how Resident Evil 4 was an OK game, not the greatest gift to mankind to ever be created, and you can stop aping its elements already. Especially since most of the elements aped from it were chosen specifically to BE bad, like the camera angle. They intentionally restrict your view angle and have Leon take up too much of the screen to make the game scarier. If you're game's not supposed to be scary and claustrophobic on purpose, guess fucking what, DON'T USE THAT CAMERA.

I wish I lived in an alternate universe where Max Payne 2 occupied the same slot in game design influences that RE4 does now. :(

I'm pretty sure if I were to participate in such a thread I would end up posting a gigantic rant about how Resident Evil 4 was an OK game, not the greatest gift to mankind to ever be created, and you can stop aping its elements already. Especially since most of the elements aped from it were chosen specifically to BE bad, like the camera angle. They intentionally restrict your view angle and have Leon take up too much of the screen to make the game scarier. If you're game's not supposed to be scary and claustrophobic on purpose, guess fucking what, DON'T USE THAT CAMERA.

All any game took from RE4's camera was the offset. The games I'm assuming you're referring to don't actually push the camera that far in to have the character take up that much space. Offset just feels better. Sorry, Max.

And RE4 ain't scary, isn't even trying to be.

You may not find RE4 scary, but they specifically chose their camera style to make the player feel claustrophobic. It makes the crowd scenes seem bigger and scarier. Speaking of which: None of the things I really truly loved about RE4 every get ripped off, like the crowd stuff, or the environment design, or the enemy interactivity for stuff like shooting the guy with the dynamite to blow up the guys around him, or knocking down ladders. Occasionally you can shoot a guy throwing a grenade and he'll drop it, like in Uncharted 3, but if anything THAT should be a fucking standard, and it isn't, and yet that stupid camera is.