Sign in to follow this  
deceiver

Rainbow Six: Patriots

i fairly recently played through all the 360 rainbow six games. and i was downright blown away by how much "gameplay" there was compared to the run of the mill shooters by ea and activision

... please dont move away from that ubisoft

I also felt sorry for the guy with the bomb strapped to his chest. In that regard, the intro to the mission that puts you in the shoes of the victim worked for me. But who needs one-time, one-button interactivity such as "blow out candle" and "kiss wife"? It's that type of interactivity which gives me NOTHING, quite the opposite it makes me feel like the developers are taking the piss. But I guess QTEs (the fact that this has a globally understood accronym shows that this has gone too far) are "chique" and more elaborate interactivity is too much work. I'd prefer a cutscene, at least that's more honest. But maybe I'm getting old.

So after the guy with the bomb got out of the van, the video switched to the actual characters that you're going to play and that's when I started to lose interest. Shoot the terrorists/red triangles with submachine-guns, see through car, don't hit the civilian, New York, explosion. The fact that they couldn't save the guy and tossed him over was an unexpected, interesting touch, but it doesn't make me long for the game. Now what if you played the whole game as the person whose family is held hostage? You need to do what the terrorists say or they are going to kill your family. But creating another game with the "rainbow six" name is safer plus you can easily spend money on fancy pre-rendered vertical slice videos...

This isn't a problem exclusively related to this game though and it's a little unfair I unload my frustration on this specific title, so please don't take it personal, deceiver, but it annoys me that the common procedure nowadays is to take an old gameplay concept and inflate it with an "even more epic storyline with bigger explosions and more controversy". Exactly this:

"In Rainbow 6 Patriots, all the team play, tactics, and realism that fans of the series love have been coupled with an exciting new narrative direction. This adds an unprecedented level of humanity that will make Rainbow 6 Patriots an extremely tense and immersive experience.”

Then the publisher inks a deal with a widely read magazine whose writers put the game's name and hyperboles like "groundbreaking" on the cover for exclusive rights to the story.

Maybe actual gameplay videos will prove me wrong in the future, but right now it looks to me like Ubisoft wants to join in on the "who has got the biggest modern shooter brand" contest with little new to offer.

nothing wrong with big explosions and epicness lol. The problem is that it's a movie where you go through the motions. This kind of proof of concept trailer is like the worst way to design a game :derp:

The QTEs as gameplay elements might look incredible dumb but I still like them for what they did: They made you think you actually play as this guy which helps you attach to him much more. Imagine this being a static cutscene: You get back from the kitchen after the loading screen just finished, missed the first 5 seconds, you sit down, watch your screen, people you don't know or don't have any connection to get beaten up. It wouldn't work the same way.

Making you think you actually contributed to that scene ("OMG, if i had just taken the iPad instead of the TV remote I might have changed something") and leaves you with the same feeling of help-less-nes the guy is in ("How could I have done any different - could I have done anything about it"). The limited control here makes perfect sense. Don't hate on QTEs because they are often used wrong and just because it's the "New thing". It's not like they freeze-framed until you pressed "F" to look at the door or something as stupid as that.

The QTEs as gameplay elements might look incredible dumb but I still like them for what they did: They made you think you actually play as this guy which helps you attach to him much more. Imagine this being a static cutscene: You get back from the kitchen after the loading screen just finished, missed the first 5 seconds, you sit down, watch your screen, people you don't know or don't have any connection to get beaten up. It wouldn't work the same way.

Making you think you actually contributed to that scene ("OMG, if i had just taken the iPad instead of the TV remote I might have changed something") and leaves you with the same feeling of help-less-nes the guy is in ("How could I have done any different - could I have done anything about it"). The limited control here makes perfect sense. Don't hate on QTEs because they are often used wrong and just because it's the "New thing". It's not like they freeze-framed until you pressed "F" to look at the door or something as stupid as that.

Shit's boring and not fun. It's just designers getting in their own way. It's not about you and your shitty 'authorship', no one cares.

yeah, qte's are about as fun as fucking a dog.

that's a metaphor i don't even need to go into more detail with, but trust me, nobody wants more fucking qte's.

i remember the first game i worked on, we had this randomizer shit that made qte's longer depending on the game's difficulty setting (basically a programmer wanted to play with some new functions and thought this would be a good place to do it). when you played on the hardest difficulty there was a qte on the last level that was 20 buttons long.

20 buttons long.

You talk as if this is actually a solution to some kind of a problem. If you really want the player to not miss the beginning of the cutscene, you could do a "press start to play" after loading? Or how about no load times at all?

If anything the QTE's are taking me out of the obvious scripted cutscene I'm watching. You really believe this makes the player feel more part of it?

If you really want to make sure a player is involved with the story of a game, tell the story through gameplay, have the player tell the story, use actualy game mechanics, not a movie with QTEs tacked on. People skip cutscenes all the time, throwing in QTE's is just a way to force them to watch something they don't care about.

And I don't hate QTE's per se, I think they can have a place in games. They can be a great reward system.

summary of what happens here: "we spent all this money on a scripted cutscene instead of making a game, how do we force the player to watch this?"

Could any of you imagine System Shock 2, Thief or Half-Life with fucking QTE's? Holy fucking shit I'd quit gaming forever.

The FIRST thing I was greeted with when trying the BF3 singpleayer was a QTE so that immediately set my expectations below 0 which were already low at the time. Crysis 2 had one of the WORST QTE's in the history of anything. You know the one. That god damn bridge. It starts off as a cinematic taking away any cool gamepaly element that was happening in an already awesome situation. I was like "oh wow! the bridge is coming down this is really awese- oh. It's a cinematic now, huh? Great." *Stretches arms* -- "PRESS BUTTON NOT TO DIE!!" I died. fuck sake. Insta described this part pretty well I think, by the game playing itself.

They are a curse upon the face of gaming that are employed by lazy designers. They hold no benefits, no experience, nothing. They are a cheap form of "gameplay" that needs to be removed and never used again.

nothing wrong with big explosions and epicness lol. The problem is that it's a movie where you go through the motions. This kind of proof of concept trailer is like the worst way to design a game :derp:

Fully agree with this. I perfer to play something with actual gameplay telling a story much like HL, etc, or just a cutscene.

Im not a fan of QTE' either, (omg force unleashed travesty) unless its those moments your button mashing a knife away from your throat and as long as its not consistently showing up throughout the game. Little bit of variety + tenseness is ok with me.

The only game that got those things right was god of war, and even there I found it was pretty fucking stupid to have that those long chains in places that insta-kills you if you get it wrong (I was new to playstation gaming at the time and had no idea where the buttons were on the controller so it was pretty hard for me.

Why dont we have button controller emoticons?

Haha, I started a hatred here :D I have to say I hated the QTEs in Crysis 2 (and they became even more ridiculous when I had my flatmate play the game who didn't touch a shooter since Quake and didn't knew how QTEs worked) and in most other games these days. I agree that - whenever possible, story should be told through Gameplay or in cut-scenes you really participate in (think Half-Life's free roaming cut-scenes). Now - clearly that part of the game wasn't supposed to work as a gameplay demo (imo) so I'm a little more forgiving with the QTEs there.

I just hate the reactive QTE's, you know the ones you have a split second to press a button or die. So yes, taking out any real game play from the concept suits me :) ends up being a cutscene you feel a little more connected to (or maybe not :oscar:)