Andy Kim - Level Designer/Scripter

RustedApple

I like your prototype work a lot, and can see some good creativity on your part with the stock games you're provided with. Good presentation as well, even on Carbonmade, showing one can definitely use that site to their advantage.

One point however would be to add icons for your resume, contact and perhaps linkedin profile on the top banner so as to maximize visibility.

Good luck with the job search

Vimeo has a pretty dumb anti-game footage policy, even regarding your own work. Avoid. I've been happy with YouTube for mine.

I noticed between your and Kevin's portfolios that the Guild Hall may have changed their portfolio recommendations? Is this style of design being suggested or taught to you guys now, or was this your own choice? (It's a good layout, either way - glad to see it in favor of the old template lots of GH students had)

Are you referring to these as the old template? http://guildhall.smu.edu/Student-Portfolios.37.0.html

Guildhall students have to create a generic portfolio here and update it; which I find to be a huge waste of effort. Did you actually have to browse through these types of portfolios before? I doubt Guildhall students would willingly want to promote themselves this way.

The Guildhall has not recommended or suggested a layout for our personal portfolio website; most of us choose our own layouts and have our own personal portfolio website.

The first thing I see when I visit your site (because i quickly switch from one tab to yours when i click the link) is this:

first_thing_you_see.png

The point im trying to get across here is that theres a lot of info on the screen and it all just blurs together.

Instead, the first thing I should see when I visit your site is a picture displaying your best work (I just grabbed a quick example that was not taken in a blurred/low res unreal game).

940x503.jpeg

Because instead of guiding your visitor to your work you should be displaying your work.

Skjalg: I agree with you that there is too much information and that is my own fault. While I can't display my work how you advise due to this portfolio template's restriction, one solution would be to remove some parts of the description text to make it less of an information overload.

Right now the description text includes:

Title (genre) - extra optional information

Engine / Time Duration / Team Size

What do you guys feel could be cut out to ease the information overload?

Or if someone is familiar with carbonmade, would you have an alternative solution?

Thank you, Skjalg, for the detailed write-up.

• 4 years later...

403 Forbidden

• Code: AccessDenied
  • RequestId: 0C8D9DE89A604249
  • HostId: gzhlABNMgA6v4tlYMnjpTIOaMynlV/pu7pD5EArQkCSks11x+V8fwHNwXdWKfU8knxlxmsN/tsA=