Sign in to follow this  
teeluu

[CS:S] de_riviera

Hello!

Haven’t been posting much since.. 2006? Anyway, i’ve been studying 3D visualization for 4 years now and it’s about a time to graduate. Several months ago i decided to go for the game industry instead of advertising industry, better late than never.. right?

I got pretty much NOTHING on my game related portfolio and i’ve been working with this level for about 3 months now. It has been play tested few times with 6-8 players and it seems to work quite well. I tried to focus on vertical gameplay as much as i could, there's a nice bunch of balconies and such where you can get in to, you can also be easily surprised from behind, camper spots have weak spots and so on. I have no plans on developing it much further anymore. At this point i’m asking for some constructive criticism and suggestions on the visual stuff. Some buildings are quite boring to say, but i'm trying to keep the details in acceptable amount :rolleyes:

Some of the custom textures and models are from de_corse by hessi. Most of the trees are from Cheroke Team. I did some of the building textures, they're still quite wips tho, missing normal and spec maps etc. Enough of words, layout and screenshots:

de_riviera_beta_overview.jpg

de_riviera_beta_01.jpg

de_riviera_beta_02.jpg

de_riviera_beta_03.jpg

de_riviera_beta_04.jpg

de_riviera_beta_05.jpg

de_riviera_beta_06.jpg

de_riviera_beta_07.jpg

de_riviera_beta_08.jpg

de_riviera_beta_09.jpg

I agree with Sarge Mat, nice and colorful map you got there. Also nice to see another finnish level designer here. :)

The stonewall from de_aztec (grass one top, yellow-ish tinted stones) doesn't really fit there I think. Same goes for the stair-text. you used for the trim on the ground in 6th pic. That cacti-type looks little bit out-of-place in the beach pic. Those cs_italy lampposts with flags look bit out of place that way in the middle of the yard. Maybe try adding somekind of marketplace there.

Just my suggestions.

Wow, didn’t quite expect this much of positive feedback :D

Same goes for the stair-text. you used for the trim on the ground in 6th pic. That cacti-type looks little bit out-of-place in the beach pic. Those cs_italy lampposts with flags look bit out of place that way in the middle of the yard. Maybe try adding somekind of marketplace there.

Yep, second time i heard about the trim texture so i’ll change that, also need to reconsider those cactuses since they probably grow in a drier environment. I actually had kind of a market place earlier there, i just dropped it due to a new design with that certain area. Maybe it's worth the detail since that’s close to a spawn point and there’s not much of an action going on in there :)

":kblqdo3h] Awesome stuff, apart from obvious scale mistakes here and there, amazing work all around.

Can you point out some of those spots? I guess I’m already too blind to see them myself :(

I wont probably release any public beta versions since it's so close to finish. I'm hopefully done with it in a week or two!

Here's some ingame footage from the latest and the last beta test. For some reason the moviemaking GUI i used didn't show decals/overlays so it's missing them. Hopefully the final compile today, yey.