Tisky

The new X-COM game

One would think the rabid XCOM fanbase would now be OK with this since we got our turn-based strategy version of the game. Haters gonna hate, I guess.

When they first dropped this I thought it looked pretty neat... until 10 minutes in when he turned the corner and I saw the array of waist-high sandbag walls.

I cringed just as hard at that as the first time I saw it.

It's not a FPS anymore. They've changed it to TPS, and I don't think there's any gameplay videos yet of their new approach.

There's still going to be squad commanding and such.

New trailer and images released with a glimpse of gameplay:

image_the_bureau_xcom_declassified-22053-2018_0001.jpg

image_the_bureau_xcom_declassified-22053-2018_0003.jpg

image_the_bureau_xcom_declassified-22053-2018_0006.jpg

image_the_bureau_xcom_declassified-22053-2018_0007.jpg

Looks better than I expected, could actually be all right.

Seems to borrow a bit from the XCOM: Enemy Unknown alien design.

image_the_bureau_xcom_declassified-22053-2018_0004.jpg

I've seen an interview on IGN with footage this morning, they show the evolution of the title from the FPS presentation, transitioning to know.

I like the new take, even though I can say I did like aspects of any iteration; the linear-fps approach wasn't "X-Com", but was conveying something that seemed worth to be narrated.

I'm thinking if this whole thing wasn't just an error in comunication to the public, a concept that passed through the interview in which they say something like «People should not think 'this is X-Com' but rather 'this is a X-Com'».

I mean, i remember it was presented as a "Xcom reboot", while the new take clearly labels it as a spin-off.

Seems to borrow a bit from the XCOM: Enemy Unknown alien design.

This is something that should have been really planned ahead, a really nice touch of compactness in the narrative universe.

I got some serious Brothers in Arms vibes, although I'm not super excited about what looks like a lot of squadmate micromanagment. Just going by the video, that sort of "move here, shoot here, use special power" commanding your buddies doesn't work so well for me, when I'm also fighting for my life. BiA kept it to broad strokes - move here, follow me - and that seemed to work better. Who knows, it might be awesome in practice, I guess we'll see.

I'll also second the waist high cover sticking out terribly. At least the player knows what's cover, I guess.

I preferred it when it was a shooter, now its just a 3rd person version of the last game no? :/ Anyway its probably for the best :)

Edited by Dark