Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Definition of escapism (source: Aristotle):

Escapism is mental diversion from unpleasant or boring aspects of daily life, typically through activities involving imagination or entertainment.

CS:GO is set in the real world. If you have any hopes of getting in an operation, stick to the style of the game. Otherwise, keep building your wonderland, but understand that people will look at it with different eyes.

Also, it's very hypocritical to say that your maps aren't inspired by the real world. You have trees, boats, and buildings made for people. Yes, they do become more original when you slap your own idiosyncratic style on them, but make sure you're not trading off originality for realism.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference. I myself find it distasteful, when an artist tries to reinvent reality and justify it with it being more imaginative. Everything that takes some effort in the way of mentally manipulating images to build a cohesive scene out of separate elements from your visual memory is imaginative. But visual harmony, shape-wise and color-wise, on its own isn't enough to create a pleasant digital space. There's a lot of art that isn't inspired by anything in the real world. Unrelated to anything - just visual diarrhea. It's shallow.

Take some inspiration from architecture. Get a taste of just how much effort people put into building that comply with the laws of physics - buildings made with real materials and real purpose. It won't make your buildings less imaginative, but rather the opposite, because you'll feel more comfortable breaking the rules. Study rocks and foliage from nature and you'll be able to build virtual landscapes that look just as believable.

The way natural landscapes are shaped is driven by the laws of fundamental particle interactions. Everything from the atom, to planetary objects, follows the same set of rules. You can't invent that. Humans are stupid, we can't do better than nature. Look at brutalist architecture - they practically just gave up. You cannot reject reality and then expect that people living in the real world will appreciate what you make. Why do people copy nature? Because nature is the best artist. It's only so many human brains that a piece of art can be filtered through before it becomes meaningless noise. The only utility of originality is in the pursuit of finding something better than what everyone else is doing. You won't find that if you reject any inspiration.

Signature: PhD. Human Doctor

Edited by Human Doctor
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmm, it would be the 8th operation. Is 8 the new 3 for Valve? 

Personally, I'm saving up for

Posted Images

Ok, let's all calm down and get back on topic. 

@Michael_: You have some unorthodox ideas and perspectives about level design and originality. You need to realize this and shouldn't be surprised that others have different ideas. You speak with very little humility, a harsh tone and an accusatory attitude. Please try to adress this or Mapcore may not be the place for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello can anyone help me in csgo 

i am getting too many errors in csgo console saying that resource material is missing vgui material is missing network socket lock and unable to dispatch all this frame and it is making my game lag and stutter making it unplayable .

i have tried uninstalling csgo and installing again verify game files and delete cfg for the acc also but still the errors are there in console if anyone can help that would be great.