e-freak

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Wow the Astralis team is being shaken as of late:

Andreas "Xyp9x" Højsleth has left Astralis for the time being, with Danny "zonic" Sørensen playing in his place during recent practices, according to multiple sources close to the team. Astralis has asked Ninjas in Pyjamas about acquiring Jonas "Lekr0" Olofsson and Heroic about Patrick "es3tag" Hansen, but there is no resolution yet.

The nature of Xyp9x’s departure and the length of his absence are unknown, though sources say he will be out at least through the DreamHack Masters series. This move comes on the heels of Lukas "gla1ve" Rossander's announcement that he is taking a three month leave. Jakob "JUGi" Hansen, who signed with Astralis earlier this month, has stepped into gla1ve's role. In-game leading duties were handed to Emil "Magisk" Reif in recent official matches.

hope they can return in time for the next major

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

Wow the Astralis team is being shaken as of late:

hope they can return in time for the next major

I dont, them not being a complete team means it will actually be interesting to watch the major. For the first time in years we might have an exciting finals.

10 minutes ago, fewseb said:

I dont, them not being a complete team means it will actually be interesting to watch the major. For the first time in years we might have an exciting finals.

I haven’t followed much but they haven’t been dominant this year and last part of last year. I would like to see them back and competitive just on the basis that Thoorin was moaning and criticising them skipping tournaments, and had already declared the Liquid era… guess what them guys started chocking hard and (as I had my money on) they came back big with Vertigo.

having them win a fourth would cement the status without this kind of stupid arguments

6 hours ago, blackdog said:

I haven’t followed much but they haven’t been dominant this year and last part of last year. I would like to see them back and competitive just on the basis that Thoorin was moaning and criticising them skipping tournaments, and had already declared the Liquid era… guess what them guys started chocking hard and (as I had my money on) they came back big with Vertigo.

having them win a fourth would cement the status without this kind of stupid arguments

Is proving thoorin wrong really worth ruining another major? Hes wrong all the time, he said it was the liquid era last major and then they bombed out. Adding another point to the already triple digit "Thoorin being wrong counter" does not make up for a 4th boring major in a row.

I just had the idea it would be great if you could pop up the radar into the middle of your screen with a keypress to not have to move your eyes to the top left corner. You don't lose the focus, your eyes would get less tired and over time it will also be better for your concentration.

There are plenty of unoptimised models in csgo. If Valve would optimise them or hire freelancer to do so they would make this game much more appealing to people with old / weak PCs. I guess this is very important if Valve wants to have success with csgo in Asia. Valve has enough money to do that, and there is a great reason to do it. To support freelancers in need.
Here is the texture optimisation topic I made:

Edited by Ringel

The actual player jump height? Usually you can only jump up 66 units. Can you jump up 71 units? Yes you can. But the surface needs an angle like this:
fmv227mmgk951.jpg?width=1920&format=pjpg

And you need the right jumping technique. You can't jump up if you stand. You have to run. You can do it with an awp or knife in your hands.
  1. Run towards the object, don't stop while jumping, stop then you landed on the object.
  2. If you are close enough press crouch and immediately after that jump. Let the crouch key pressed until you stand on the object. Don't jump too early or too late.
I managed it after a few tries. With some experience it will become easier.
You can test this out in my map cs_bird at the shown location above or recreate it in hammer by yourself.
In cs:go knowledge can make a great difference. Placing such higher jumps will reward players who are eager to learn and discover something new.

At the playetest I made no one knew that you can jump at there alone and thus they boosted other players over it. At both playtests,  someone told me it might be better if you could jump up without the need of a boost. But they could do it all the time without a boost, they did just not know it.

I did not tested this to the maximum maybe you can jump up higher with another angle.
Edited by Ringel

4 hours ago, Ringel said:
The actual player jump height? Usually you can only jump up 66 units. Can you jump up 71 units? Yes you can. But the surface needs an angle like this:
fmv227mmgk951.jpg?width=1920&format=pjpg

And you need the right jumping technique. You can't jump up if you stand. You have to run. You can do it with an awp or knife in your hands.
  1. Run towards the object, don't stop while jumping, stop then you landed on the object.
  2. If you are close enough press crouch and immediately after that jump. Let the crouch key pressed until you stand on the object. Don't jump too early or too late.
I managed it after a few tries. With some experience it will become easier.
You can test this out in my map cs_bird at the shown location above or recreate it in hammer by yourself.
In cs:go knowledge can make a great difference. Placing such higher jumps will reward players who are eager to learn and discover something new.

At the playetest I made no one knew that you can jump at there alone and thus they boosted other players over it. At both playtests,  someone told me it might be better if you could jump up without the need of a boost. But they could do it all the time without a boost, they did just not know it.

I did not tested this to the maximum maybe you can jump up higher with another angle.

And what is the reason for this hassle of a jump?

1. If you have this knowledge and see something like that you can jump up alone while others need to do a boost. This gives you an advantage.  (I already wrote this)

2. You also have to learn it to be able to jump up every time at the first try. There are people who like challenges and have joy in master things.

3. There are also community server where you do nothing else than jump up something. Now they can create higher jumps.

Old minded people may don't understand this.

Edit: Oh, and my jump is not that hard to achieve. I guess you could also raise it a few units higher.

Edited by Ringel

8 minutes ago, Ringel said:

If you have this knowledge and see something like that you can jump up alone while others need to do a boost. This gives you an advantage. 

Ahh there is nothing better than ambiguous situation where you can jump or boost. Especially in competitive environment.

I planned to make a short introduction video for my map where I show this and others like marked smoke and molotov lineups. I guess only a few who want to learn something will watch the short video. And you don't have to make it like me. You can also create it more obvious that players who already made such jumps recognise this jump when they see it. But a block as railings suits not well in the shown case.

Edited by Ringel

8 minutes ago, Lizard said:

Ahh there is nothing better than ambiguous situation where you can jump or boost. Especially in competitive environment.

Yep, terrible affordance = terrible design

10 minutes ago, Vilham said:

Yep, terrible affordance = terrible design

Luckily it is not hard to achive but you still need practise to get it in first try every time.

Not willing to learn something even when it takes not that much time = you miss the most fun.

Edited by Ringel

6 minutes ago, Ringel said:

I planned to make a short introduction video for my map where I show this and others like marked smoke and molotov lineups. I guess only a few who want to learn something will watch the short video. And you don't have to make it like me. You can also create it more obvious that players who already made such jumps recognise this jump when they see it. But a block as railings suits not well in the shown case.

What I mean by this is that you make this jump dependent on so many variables that it will almost feel random and cheesy rather than calculated design.

I get the risk and reward here but the problem with RAR in multiplayer is that it needs to be clear what this trick does for both teams. Otherwise you will end up with overpowered spots on the map.

Edited by Lizard