e-freak

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

It is time for a change!

If Valve would add a button to the game which would allow us to disable the custom skins, who would not immediately press it?

Players don't like them because they are not optimised for visibility and it also means for us we are forced to make all of our maps overly bright and colour neutral trying to make the playermodels as outstanding as possible. If we don't do this some skins will give players a too great advantages over others and thus they would become pay to win. But even if we try as hard as we can it will not possible to make every skin equal visible. By tryin this we would also be lowered in our creativity and the ability to create more outstanding maps.

If we don't do something now the problem could get worse and worse, because valve will create more and more custom skins. Do you want that? No? So let us do something!

We can do something!

We can do two things:

1. With the attention the mapcore contest gets we are able to make a statemant and hopefully make a change.

2. We can provide Valve with a new concept.

1. Make a Statement

The top 11 submissions could change their CT skin to jumpsuit. [Edit: Only until the contest ends.] I believe this skin fits perfectly. They are also the most visible playermodels. But what we also need is a Vscript which does not allow custom player skins. @ZooL (or someone else?) could certainly make such a script.

This should be done before the next judging phase begins. So this is up to you @FMPONE

2. New Skin Concept

I guess it will not be enough to tell them they should make it possible to disable custom models for competitive mode. Because competitive players would lose their interrest in the custommodels and valve would lose money. They need a compensation for this.

My idea: Disable the current custom skins for competitive mode and make the normal ones customizable.

Customizations:

1. Wearable Badges: On the shoulders and/or on the chest.
Badges:
- Flag: shows a national flag
- Team Name: shows the own team name or the name from a pro team
- Team Logo: shows the own team logo or the logo from a pro team
- ???: Maybe you got more ideas.

2. Minor customizable (faction exclusive) bodyparts which do not lower visibility like belts with special belt buckels for the phoenix faction, or new shoes / boots. Maybe you got more ideas.

3. Dyeable Bodyparts (for developers and mappers only)

This would be great for us to make the models better visible for every map.

I guess the ESEA, ESL and FACEIT would have no problem with those kind of customizations.

Edited by Ringel

11 hours ago, Ringel said:

It is time for a change!

Yeah but that change starts and ends at just allowing us to disable enemy agent skins. I would personally like to see agent skins be equip able per faction IE you can only equip a phoenix skin for the phoenix faction, but I doubt Valve will go that route until they update more factions and make skins for them.

But what we also need is a Vscript which does not allow custom player skins

Okay and? Alot of good that vscript would do for maps on the workshop, on the off chance one gets added to the game Valve can just remove or disable that vscript or outright tell the map maker to remove it or their map wont be accepted.

their CT skin to jumpsuit. I believe this skin fits perfectly. They are also the most visible playermodels.

Jumpsuit isnt meant to be used in regular maps, let alone as ct side. They lack voice lines which means you wont hear grenade calls or planting/defusing the bomb. They are also very clearly meant to be captured Terrorists so them fighting for the CT side doesnt really fit.

2. New Skin Concept

Everything youve described here is something they thought about doing before they made weapon skins, it didnt work because players had no way of seeing their customized character outside of the menu. It also lead to even greater confusion then the current agent skins do because it was hard to tell if someone was a T or CT because of how muddled the character could be.

18 hours ago, Ringel said:

1. Wearable Badges: On the shoulders and/or on the chest.
Badges:
- Flag: shows a national flag
- Team Name: shows the own team name or the name from a pro team
- Team Logo: shows the own team logo or the logo from a pro team
- ???: Maybe you got more ideas.

The new CS update be like 👀

12 hours ago, DMU222 said:

The new CS update be like 👀

I made this suggestion also exactly one month ago under my maps. Maybe they got it from there.

19 hours ago, fewseb said:

Okay and? Alot of good that vscript would do for maps on the workshop, on the off chance one gets added to the game Valve can just remove or disable that vscript or outright tell the map maker to remove it or their map wont be accepted.

Yes they can do this. My idea was only to do this for the time until the contest ends. Just to make a statement.

Jumpsuit isnt meant to be used in regular maps, let alone as ct side. They lack voice lines which means you wont hear grenade calls or planting/defusing the bomb. They are also very clearly meant to be captured Terrorists so them fighting for the CT side doesnt really fit.

Exactly, thats why it fits so well for this purpose.

Edit:

Yeah but that change starts and ends at just allowing us to disable enemy agent skins. I would personally like to see agent skins be equip able per faction IE you can only equip a phoenix skin for the phoenix faction, but I doubt Valve will go that route until they update more factions and make skins for them.

Smart idea, only to disable enemy skins. But if they don't do this make it equip only per faction would also not ideal because of their colour variance. The normal fbi models are blue and there is one green, one black and one grey-green custommodel. And if more skins are added to the game the variance would make it worse.

And Valve would still have the problem that the ESEA, ESL and FACEIT does not allow custom skins.

Edit2:

It also lead to even greater confusion then the current agent skins do because it was hard to tell if someone was a T or CT because of how muddled the character could be.

Those minor customizable bodyparts could be faction exclusive stuff like belts / belt buckels  solely for the phoenix faction.

Edited by Ringel

7 hours ago, blackdog said:

Is Project A actually to be thanked for this?

Probably not, seeing as Valve haven't made any significant updates since Project A started getting hyped, AFAIK? I'm more inclined to think the panic around Covid-19 is driving people on to their computers.

As for any competitors coming along to unseat CS:GO, I think they're going to have a hard fucking time if they don't ship with level editors and other similar community engagement features.

11 hours ago, blackdog said:

Watched this last night but fell asleep before could spam it, analysis following the record peak

Is Project A actually to be thanked for this?

Ah yes, everyone's least favorite mustache is back to tells us more unfounded opinions disguised as fact. I like that he put up those 5 csgo is dead videos, when he himself was ringing the deathbell of csgo in multiple other videos he done. Best part is 3kliks and warowls videos were being rhetorical in their title, neither were actually suggesting csgo is dying.

And yet another person suggesting ProjectA is somehow going to have an affect on how the Devs treat CSGO. When was the last time someone else doing something ever made valve do something they werent already going to do. A game that is too CS for Overwatch players and too Overwatch for CS players will be limited to a niche market if they cant find a good balance, couple that with 0 ways for community content creators to create content and 5 heroes being locked behind a paywall in the exact same way battlefront 2 was criticized for and you have the next Brink/Dirty Bomb/Paladins.

Edited by fewseb

Yep, found all that amusing as well @fewseb. That being said, they just need to post videos to monetise, I don’t believe this guy believes in CSGO’s demise, apparently he’s a legitimate Faze fan…

We can only speculate on the other choices they’ve done, player skins and batte royale on the other hand do seem very reactive choices in strategy.

Edited by blackdog

13 hours ago, Tynnyri said:

What has Valve done that is NOT in reaction to some event outside of the games themselves lately. They've released 2 dead-on-launch mobile games in reaction to a game genre becoming popular. 

Barney didn't say any of his cringy one-liners in his spin off title, but now we have to get a modern character with very similiar personality and role screaming obnoxious one-liners and upgrading her excalibur's stats at the nearest shrine while being showered with unearned praise and witty humor after every action to prevent boredom.

Hey you guys work it out, you are the ones with opposite opinions :D

More seriously: they have a VR hardware business they pretty much paved the way for. (The big commercial turnaround for Oculus arrived after the Valve VR people moved over there.)
Of course they have Steam that keeps chugging along, they've done some that could be seen a response to Epic, but we know they are slow on everything and they were actually criticised for not responding to Epic, instead/in fact they have worked and shipped new features that make the Steam experience richer than the competition (play anywhere).