Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

e-freak

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Furiosa said:

I think Valve will release a coop map that set in a night time, in this Operation. Found this image in csgo folder, that pointing to coop map.

radarbaru.jpg

Its literally the first mission on the mission list lol. All it is really, is dz_sirocco edited to be nighttime and with some new barriers and deco placed around for the mission.

6 minutes ago, fewseb said:

Its literally the first mission on the mission list lol. All it is really, is dz_sirocco edited to be nighttime and with some new barriers and deco placed around for the mission.

lol i dont know, still didnt play the mission. I wanna see the gameplay.

Edited by Furiosa

A new pearlescent skin feature on models:

20191121104515_1.jpg.dd1ec0504e505bd9c4293d0c8a366413.jpg

"VertexLitGeneric"

{

"$basetexture" "dev/dev_measurecrate02"
"$nocull" "1"

//

"$phong" "1"
"$phongboost" "0"

//

"$basemapalphaphongmask" "1"
"$pearlescent" "4"

}

It's a phong shader feature; "$phong" "1" and "$basemapalphaphongmask" "1" are obligatory.

pearlescent.zip

Sooo about the "custom skins are breaking the game" thing going on right now...

Clearly the CS visual direction is restricting them immensely. Feels like they can barely expand at all when it comes to player models, because of how good/bad they would blend with some of the environments. Basically right now, they're stuck in a situation where they want to add more variety to player models but none of them can be "too camo", "too saturated", "too dark", "too bright", "too contrasted", "not contrasted enough", have a "too small silhouette", "too big silhouette" etc. etc. otherwise it affects gameplay.

Another side effect of this is that some models become strictly better/worst than others and players will only use the good ones, which defeats the whole purpose of adding variety to player models in the first place...

I'd like to go straight back to what I said a few weeks ago; A possible solution to this whole nightmare would be to add some kind of UI/lighting/post process effect thing that makes any character model stand out against any background, essentially bringing all character models back to the same level in terms of balance:

On 9/16/2019 at 4:45 PM, MikeGon said:

player models don't stand out against most environments. Maps need to be brightly lit and look like a fckin empty art gallery on primer just so people can see that guy walking in front of them... other games employ technique like lighting player models in a different way than the env, adding post-process effects like contour lines, and UI displaying target's name/health and what have you. I'm sure there's a tasteful solution that's possible here

I think now would be a better time than ever to make that leap since it's trending atm. It's a case of ripping off the bandaid, it would hurt on the short term and some gamers will be pissed, but it would make the game better. Look at Overwatch here for instance:

image.png.7226fb522ea6ef55781a1636b1d12859.png

I'm not saying CS:GO should look like this, but notice how this "red outline + name + health bar" combo allows them to release skins in any freakin style with emissive/dangling bits n' shit with zero impact on gameplay, as long as it remotely resembles the character.

(btw I'm not saying that CS:GO needs to look like Dora the explorer just that it needs some kind of feature like this done in a subtle way that make sense for CS:GO)

and btw this guy looks like a fckin furby lol:

image.png.896175a19c3729963ab0973ea3d0eba3.png

8 hours ago, MikeGon said:

Another side effect of this is that some models become strictly better/worst than others and players will only use the good ones, which defeats the whole purpose of adding variety to player models in the first place...

I'd like to go straight back to what I said a few weeks ago; A possible solution to this whole nightmare would be to add some kind of UI/lighting/post process effect thing that makes any character model stand out against any background, essentially bringing all character models back to the same level in terms of balance:

Which is basically what we were doing in 1.6. The choice of characters was to allow players to choose the skins that would blend the most in the environment, and give the sense of “realistic combat”.

I’m totally averse of any artificial way to highlight players in CS, it’s simply not the kind of game for outlines etc. If something like that was implemented it would disrupt so many concepts of the game, like off-angles wouldn’t be a thing, cos you see the enemy anyway… it would become a “laser tag” game. Considering the lethality of CS’ guns, it would be like target practice and only the player with the fastest reflexes wins, instead of encouraging playing smart.

(Btw that spot on the grates of Overpass was an off-angle before this Operation.)

Also the risk of introducing game breaking bugs… it took months and pros whinging for so long to fix the smoke grenade bug, I can imagine stuff like that coming back if we add post-process to the player models.

What they do in games like Overwatch is fine cos the firefights go on for a while, the players are bullet sponges, they have all the items and buffs, regeneration…

I’m not against revising what has been released, but everything needs to stay very natural and realistic.

Personally I think Zool's solution is best, the color changing just has to be modified to not affect weapon skins.

The player skin still looks 'cool' and allows players to show off, but it also keeps the game competitive, and adds an interesting new form of customization for community maps.

Also, it means Valve can't be lazy with their skins by making recolors, each model can have something unique about it.

Edited by DMU222

8 minutes ago, DMU222 said:

Personally I think Zool's solution is best, the color changing just has to be modified to not affect weapon skins.

The player skin still looks 'cool' and allows players to show off, but it also keeps the game competitive, and adds an interesting new form of customization for community maps.

Also, it means Valve can't be lazy with their skins by making recolors, each model can have something unique about it.

I disagree, the point where we allow mappers to easily make Player Models atrociously bright colors is the point where we might as well give up and give enemy players a red inline. Besides that, every reworked set of player models has been brighter then their original versions. To me at least the easier solution would be to make a console command to disable enemy player skins as apposed to going through every single player model set and setting up certain materials to be tintable and then adding a parameter int he KV file for tinting them.

Unpopular opinion here, but I prefer it if player models are at least somewhere in the realm of reason, Neon green and hot pink are not colors either side would wear.