e-freak

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Billion dollar company can only work on one project at a time due to severe understaffing.

The coop sounds fun, I was actually playing a community coop map with friends a few days ago. I also hope the weapons are coop only if they are released as none really seem like they have a place in comp. I really hope wearables don't become a thing, the contrast is already bad enough at times.

An engine switch would be very sexy and it would be nice to work with an engine that is a little less antique. My ideas are always too ambitious for source and it takes me hours to execute one complex area with valid geometry and on grid verts, and then I end up scrapping it because the map is not unique enough, not thematically consistent or logical, or has inherent balance issues. I want to fuck up faster and in style. 

image.png.efebc924a30fa18655bda3f3014dae32.png

My alts have more. See you in silver soldiers.

25 minutes ago, Interfearance said:

Billion dollar company can only work on one project at a time due to severe understaffing.

The coop sounds fun, I was actually playing a community coop map with friends a few days ago. I also hope the weapons are coop only if they are released as none really seem like they have a place in comp. I really hope wearables don't become a thing, the contrast is already bad enough at times.

An engine switch would be very sexy and it would be nice to work with an engine that is a little less antique. My ideas are always too ambitious for source and it takes me hours to execute one complex area with valid geometry and on grid verts, and then I end up scrapping it because the map is not unique enough, not thematically consistent or logical, or has inherent balance issues. I want to fuck up faster and in style. 

image.png.efebc924a30fa18655bda3f3014dae32.png

My alts have more. See you in silver soldiers.

The tac-21 predates any coop gamemode, the others are all very easily just cut survival weapons. But I also dont see how a spatula will really mess with the cs formula if it was in the base game.

As much as im sure everyone here would love to work with something from this decade, a source 2 update in reality just results in less features for us the mappers (do to valves failure to port over entities or code that isnt used in the main part of the game) and more bugs for the player base to deal with. That ontop of the physics and lighting changes that would completely change the way the game is played in the pro scene.

13 hours ago, fewseb said:

The tac-21 predates any coop gamemode, the others are all very easily just cut survival weapons. But I also dont see how a spatula will really mess with the cs formula if it was in the base game.

As much as im sure everyone here would love to work with something from this decade, a source 2 update in reality just results in less features for us the mappers (do to valves failure to port over entities or code that isnt used in the main part of the game) and more bugs for the player base to deal with. That ontop of the physics and lighting changes that would completely change the way the game is played in the pro scene.

I doubt lightning changes would do anything to the visibility. There are already many competitive games that have dynamic and realtime lighting. Also, inclusion of physics props is completely up to the mapper. The piss poor source materials push map makers towards modern and/or minimalist styles if they want their map to look presentable, while truly grungey and dirty themes are almost impossible to pull of and look like they were made in this decade. Just because there are some uncompetitive features doesn't mean you are forced to implement them.

• Working ingame Lighting Preview
  • Faster/Improved 3D Preview
  • Importing feature for VMF files (Maps from old Hammer)
  • Undo-History
  • New Chooser for Models and other Assets (Asset Browser)
  • Map size is no longer limited to Grid size
  • Maps dont have to be closed to work
  • Clipping tool preview
  • Moving and Transform functions for Brushes are now more like in "real" 3d modelling Programs like 3DS Max. For example: You can specify the pivot Point of a brush

If you have ever touched hammer, this would probably make you excited. Also, the engines capabilities are all around improved, mainly because of vulkan, and its astounding ability to actually use your gpu.

Frame differences between a 1080ti and a 1050 running csgo with an i7-8700k are around 10 on average in my rig. This means that source 2 can actually afford to look better because it will retain its framerate due to the gpu being used. It is still by no means impressive or cutting edge, as there are other engines like Anvilnext that can do all of this with realistic destruction and maintain insane fps. Better than a 15 year old piece of shit 😕 

Edit: Acceleration and velocities can pretty much be replicated in source 2 while feeling just as if not more responsive.

Edited by Interfearance

3 hours ago, Interfearance said:

I doubt lightning changes would do anything to the visibility. There are already many competitive games that have dynamic and realtime lighting. Also, inclusion of physics props is completely up to the mapper. The piss poor source materials push map makers towards modern and/or minimalist styles if they want their map to look presentable, while truly grungey and dirty themes are almost impossible to pull of and look like they were made in this decade. Just because there are some uncompetitive features doesn't mean you are forced to implement them.

• Working ingame Lighting Preview
  • Faster/Improved 3D Preview
  • Importing feature for VMF files (Maps from old Hammer)
  • Undo-History
  • New Chooser for Models and other Assets (Asset Browser)
  • Map size is no longer limited to Grid size
  • Maps dont have to be closed to work
  • Clipping tool preview
  • Moving and Transform functions for Brushes are now more like in "real" 3d modelling Programs like 3DS Max. For example: You can specify the pivot Point of a brush

If you have ever touched hammer, this would probably make you excited. Also, the engines capabilities are all around improved, mainly because of vulkan, and its astounding ability to actually use your gpu.

Frame differences between a 1080ti and a 1050 running csgo with an i7-8700k are around 10 on average in my rig. This means that source 2 can actually afford to look better because it will retain its framerate due to the gpu being used. It is still by no means impressive or cutting edge, as there are other engines like Anvilnext that can do all of this with realistic destruction and maintain insane fps. Better than a 15 year old piece of shit 😕 

Edit: Acceleration and velocities can pretty much be replicated in source 2 while feeling just as if not more responsive.

Im saying I have no faith in Valve to port over already existing features that they just dont happen to use or remember. If they could guarantee a hammer update that included everything we already had/ an equivalent + the new features, that would be great but I doubt it would happen. They didnt even remember to include the Nav mesh building UI, the spectator flashbang overlay or the use of spectator overview images when the made the jump to panorama and that was just the stuff you actually see regularly. It took them 4 years to re-add toggleable lights and they only added it back because they needed it for Phoenix Compound and im supposed to think theyll remember to port over every side entity and feature to a new hammer?

20 hours ago, fewseb said:

That ontop of the physics and lighting changes that would completely change the way the game is played in the pro scene.

Just because the engine has the capability, doesn’t mean you need to use it. CS:S had “realistic” physics objects and they ditched it for the competitive scene.

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

Just because the engine has the capability, doesn’t mean you need to use it. CS:S had “realistic” physics objects and they ditched it for the competitive scene.

Im talking grenade/movement physics. Pro players threw a hissy fit because of how differnt it was in source and then threw another one because of how differnt go did it. Source 2 uses a differnt physics engine so the prevailing theory is that players would need to learn all new grenade line ups and relearn movement.

@fewseb Frankly it does not really matter what pros think, so long as it is not balance related. Valve has never cared, and I have never cared. The game doesn't ride on their shoulders; they go where the community goes. Furthermore, this would not change the scene at all, it would be just as balanced.

If valve changes movement values between two engines, it doesn't mean that it is the physics engine's fault. The Dota 2 port was almost unnoticeable, and was completely for performance gains. Nothing changed at all, and it had no reason to. Honestly I wouldn't care if everything changed, but it seems unnecessary.

Afaik they developed GO with the feedback of the pros, so I would say they do care. The pro scene has blown up big time since GO’s first release, and with CS being one of the top competitive games I’m sure they don’t want to mess up and cause a major disruption such as learning new nades.

They always talked about the modularity of the engine, so maybe they could transition rendering without changing the physics(?)

Me and some friends have been trying to get into CSGO the past week or so, and I just don't understand the appeal of it any more. You guys got any tips on how to.. I dunno, enjoy it more? We're trying competitive because casual has way too many people, but it's putting us up against people that can 360 noscope you as soon as you go round a corner. I know the maps and chokepoints well, but I just don't understand how you can beat these people? Also the matchmaking is taking like 6 mins each time... And people complain about a 20 sec wait on PUBG lol.

Any good vids online to learn how to git gud? For example I'm not really sure how I should be spraying either. The gunplay feels really weird in this game coming from PUBG which has really awesome feeling, controllable, realistic weapon recoil.

2 hours ago, PogoP said:

Me and some friends have been trying to get into CSGO the past week or so, and I just don't understand the appeal of it any more. You guys got any tips on how to.. I dunno, enjoy it more? We're trying competitive because casual has way too many people, but it's putting us up against people that can 360 noscope you as soon as you go round a corner. I know the maps and chokepoints well, but I just don't understand how you can beat these people? Also the matchmaking is taking like 6 mins each time... And people complain about a 20 sec wait on PUBG lol.

Any good vids online to learn how to git gud? For example I'm not really sure how I should be spraying either. The gunplay feels really weird in this game coming from PUBG which has really awesome feeling, controllable, realistic weapon recoil.

Watch lots of pro games and how they position themselves. CS GO on comp mode for an in experienced player is gonna be like running into a brick wall, peeps been playing this game for a long ass time. If you wanna legit get good then I'd suggest playing a shit tonne and watching a lot of youtube tutorials on smokes, aim, spray and map knowledge. A good stop would be https://www.youtube.com/user/TheWarOwl he has a lot of CS GO content and video tutorials/tips on how to play better. But all in all, it just comes down to playing a looooooooooooooooooooooooot.

I'm also gonna take this moment to flap my dick around a bit. These vids were from when I took the game seriously a few years ago and got reasonably good again. I dunno if Cobble is still played like this, but end of B Plat dominance was everything in that map. Smokes, awp, and some reactionary skills and you're good.

For T's: Never push through a smoke one by one. Go as a group and molly, frag, flash the stairs and push out together or this will happen:
For CT's: Nade the shit out of plat and shoot them bad guys.

Those rules can generally be applied to most bombsite push/hold. A single well placed smoke can prevent most rushes unless T's are yolo desperate to make a play.

And the luckiest worst ace of my amateur career:

Edited by dux

Cool thanks for the tips Dux! I think throwing out the PUBG muscle memory is going to be the biggest hurdle. Need to practice spraying with the M4. Also, I really hate the feel of the AK. Any other good gun recommendations or should I just get good with that?

1 hour ago, PogoP said:

Cool thanks for the tips Dux! I think throwing out the PUBG muscle memory is going to be the biggest hurdle. Need to practice spraying with the M4. Also, I really hate the feel of the AK. Any other good gun recommendations or should I just get good with that?

Git gud. It's a 1 shot headshot, unlike the m4. So just point it at the head of the guy you want to murder and tap. Or if that is a bit much for the moment and you want to spray, point it at the head again and pull down on your mouse. Another good tip is to shoot at the wall and look at the spray pattern then counter it with your mouse so you get most of your shots in the centre of your crosshair.