e-freak

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Do you also wonder how the cs:go team choose which map they take into the game or operation?

They once wrote that they only notice a map if it gets really popular.

That makes me feel valve is too lazy to check out every potential map.

I believe they should check every map because everything else would not be rightous.

Everyone should have the same chances. And if they don't check every map this is not given and hence unfair.

It makes a lot of work. But maybe not that much, because you can see very fast which map has a too low quality.

They also don't communicate with us mappers. Which is one of the worst things they can do.

The Mappers should be informed about what they plan to do and if their map has a chance to be in the game.

Do they make another operation? If so what kind of maps will be in it? Only cs and de maps or also wingman maps.

In my opinion they lose a lot of potential the workshop has to offer. Because they do not communicate with us and do not work together with the community.

It would be helpfull to know if valve checked a map and get some kind of feedback.

Even if it is just a little one like a stamp that says great potential, too low quality or something like that.

Is there a way to get in contact with the cs:go team?

As I finished my latest map I asked myself why I should ever create a new map for cs:go.

Because without the ability to play every workshop map together with others makes me wonder if my and other maps are played more often than one or two times.

And because of that it feels like it is not worth the work.

Valve could solve that problem by making a "pre-operation" with maps that are full of potential. Taking a few maps into it for a week or so and then replace them with others.

I guess the community would like that, the mappers would be happy that their maps once were truly played and it would be a great way to find the next maps for a true operation.

Mappers would also get much more valuable feedback. Which would give us the ability to create better maps in the future. A win win situation for all.

What do you believe? Do you got a better idea?

Edited by Ringel

I don't really get it. Are you unable to understand?  Please say what you mean. thanks :)

Edited by Ringel

@Ringel

I understand your frustration. My advice is to do what i did:  find a large and popular enough CS:GO community, preferably in your country, that has a public server and make maps for them. That way all your maps will be played and get tested with real players over and over again (daily !), you will observe different gameplay styles and how the players are using the resources that a map has to offer (one of the best feedbacks), you will know how to improve your maps (layout, optimisation and detail placement), and  you will see what the players really like. Don't be so focused on a 5 vs 5 competitive gameplay, give the casual style 20+ players a chance.

If you had observed along the years most of the selected maps had an unique consistent theme, high quality custom props, high quality custom textures, all of which are difficult to obtain using only free software and require also a certain amount of artistic talent and technical skills . However, very rarely they are played on large public servers. A csgo community will always prefer the maps that you make for them over the ones selected by valve. 

Edited by Serialmapper

55 minutes ago, Serialmapper said:

@Ringel

I understand your frustration. My advice is to do what i did:  find a large and popular enough CS:GO community, preferably in your country, that has a public server and make maps for them. That way all your maps will be played and get tested with real players over and over again (daily !), you will observe different gameplay styles and how the players are using the resources that a map has to offer (one of the best feedbacks), you will know how to improve your maps (layout, optimisation and detail placement), and  you will see what the players really like. Don't be so focused on a 5 vs 5 competitive gameplay, give the casual style 20+ players a chance.

If you had observed along the years most of the selected maps had an unique consistent theme, high quality custom props, high quality custom textures, all of which are difficult to obtain using only free software and require also a certain amount of artistic talent and technical skills . However, very rarely they are played on large public servers. A csgo community will always prefer the maps that you make for them over the ones selected by valve.  

That sounds like a very good idea. ^^

Edit:

I created a training map for a france cs:go community. It was nice, something new.

They asked me to join them but they didn't wanted that I upload the maps to the workshop. They wanted them exclusively.

That is something I don't want and I did not joined. I also don't speak french. ^^

Edited by Ringel

wait you want them to give feedback on every map on the workshop? I've been told they look at 100s of workshop maps. I don't see them ever wanting to start a dialogue with all of these mappers though, would lead to more issues than it solves. If you hang around with people on here, submit playtests etc your shortcomings will become clear pretty quickly. You get out what you put in here, can't expect someone else to tell you what to do...

Edit - just found your map via the reddit post you made about this same subject. You need to be working from references and have less of a scattershot aesthetic. lighting could do with a lot of love too.

Edited by Vaya

No not feedback for every map. Just those with potential.

And about the scattershot aesthtic. You can call it art. Did you played the map or just looked at the screenshots? Makes a huge difference.

The original screenshots looking much better but after uploading them to the workshop the colours and the contrast got messed up.

Edited by Ringel

31 minutes ago, Ringel said:

No not feedback for every map. Just those with potential.

And about the scattershot aesthtic. You can call it art. Did you played the map or just looked at the screenshots? Makes a huge difference.

The original screenshots looking much better but after uploading them to the workshop the colours and the contrast got messed up.

They give feedback on most of the ones with potential- it's a slight venn diagram of the maps on the workshop. I'll look at the map ingame tonight and give you more feedback.

Well if the map is popular then that's a sign to Valve that the map already has potential. I wouldn't expect them to give feedback on a map with very little subscribers.

Besides, a lot of people create maps for the fun of it, not everyone has the aim of getting into an operation. You can get a lot of feedback from places like Mapcore and the wider CS community. If you engage with the community and put your map out there for playtests then people will come and you'll get valuable feedback.

5 hours ago, Ringel said:

That’s such a snowflake millennial comment.

If you want the map to get into an operation, you have to reach certain standards also in terms of graphics. Which is not the best you think you can do, but something that adheres to the CSGO design language/style.

It’s great to aim high and wanting to succeed, but you have to be humble and put in the work. There are operation mappers that didn’t get a second map in there, despite those being very good. To me it sounds like you expect to end up in an operation, where we don’t even know if they’ll have anymore of those…

A new contest is being organised, stay up to date on it, participate, and that most certainly will give you loads of attention, if you can make a map as good as you think.

The ECS Final yesterday was bonkers, really close: also a double overtime on Overpass 😵 MIBR I think finally starting to look good and cohesive… getting Janko as coach seems to have turned them around.

Here the highlights:

Just saw THIS via CS:GO's watch live match feature:

10 different accounts controlled by one person, who always only played one character. Walked to the enemy's spawn zone, killed them all, then switched to another character/account in the next round and repeated until match was over.

Apparently to sell the Global Elite accounts or whatever. Poor kids... 🙄😂

Cin1BNg.png

Edited by Radix