Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

e-freak

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This portrays Venice pretty well.

Unfortunately the areas chosen are not as colourful as Sapienza in Hitman (some alleys further down toward the Arsenal are).

Judging from the screens it looks like they adapted a layout around the real world geography… which is new for an official CS map. (This has been my approach when attempting making a CS map and always got stuck.) Doesn't seem great for gameplay tho.

But I just wonder, there was a map by the same name that was being developed by a user on this forum, was it ever finished, they had to tell him they were taking the map name… used that map as a base??

Edited by blackdog

This map needs a lot of work, but remember how Overpass started and how great it is today. I have no doubt that Canals will be good and viable in a year.

Also, still 3 slots left for both Hostage and Reserve Groups.Santorini, Season, Agency, Siege... I am looking at you :D

Edited by RivFader

I'd like to know their plans for this new map. Is it AD bound or just someone wanting to try something new and making a reserve map? I'm sure it'll be updated tonnes over the next few updates and become something quite fun.

I'm annoyed that the operation probably won't happen now for at least another month

8 hours ago, cashed said:

This has the worst bombsite design ive ever seen come from of an official map...

I think the original overpass pillar site has it beat

Aesthetically it is a bit dull, but I just don't think any computer game can capture the beauty of Venice. The assets themselves are nice and I look forward to seeing what other people do with them, though.

Gameplay-wise I've only tried it in Casual and both games came out pretty close but it was a serious cluster-fuck. I look forward to a 5v5, I reckon it could be really tense with all the winding alleys and verticality. Lots of scope for sneaking around, like in .... ummmmmm ....... the one set in Paris which I can't remember what it was called.

I'd trade it in for an operation in a heartbeat though.

Okay, now I understand where @cashed is coming from with his critizism. That DOES look awful.

I also feel like the high amount of pillars used throughout the map within the playable space can be very disturbing. Pillars don't work well in a game like CSGO. Same goes for the many dead angles behind door frames in the indoor parts.

I definitely need to check it ingame before commenting on it further. Thanks for the overview @text_fish

I've only seen videos but the bombsites look incredibly hard for CTs to retake.

The overall feel of the map is very confusing. There's some incredibly large spaces (with little cover) that choke into really claustrophobic hallways (again with very little cover) with little-to-no room for nade play other than bouncing them around corners.

I like parts of the modeling work: some of the architectural work is incredibly faithful to stuff you'd expect to see from Renaissance arch in Italy.

The idea of a mid lane (and some minor offshoots) being covered in water is neat, I'll give them that.

But yeah, I worry about how this map will play.

I don't really care how it will be played, however it comes with great hr textures and props, and that's all i need. :D

I could't help not to test some of them C29r2yL.jpg

I played it on a public server with 20 players, however i got lost. Too many small corridors and windows, like a DOD:s map.

Edited by Serialmapper

1 hour ago, Bevielis said:

What a shock to see Valve wake up from it's map content hibernation with this unconventional masterpiece. Not sure what motivated them to ditch the competitive setting that they have stuck to with all their previous map remakes. 

The layout is objectively bad: scale issues with both chokepoints and pathways, unnecessary routes, too much angle and cover clutter. Textbook tier "rectangle hallway to room syndrome" that most new mappers suffer from even just looking at the radar. My only guess is that it's all intentional and it's all in favour of realism since it gives little respect to the mapping rules they have established. Now the visuals are just inconsistent in terms of level of detail, but the content is generally polished and nice.

My theory is that Valve just plain doesn't care what the community thinks and they're willing to give a mediocre first impression in order to do massive overhauls to it as time goes on. What better way to gauge what to improve than with thousands of Reddit mapping experts crying about the map, let them do your thinking for you. At least I hope so.

Maybe, but they could at least have decently optimised the map, I run this new map and I get a 4th of my regular framerate compared to rest of the other maps.