Whoopservatory - HL2 EP2 singleplayer

insta

superb mapping & attention to detail, would liked to have had more recorder puzzles though.

looking at the blog post on your i/o work & use of scripted sequences, i'm rusty on source mapping but would it be possible instead to spawn path tracks at the player position on a timer (eg at 0.5s intervals), using the point_template name fixup to order them sequentially (or a logic_case with prenamed entities), & then send a tracktrain along the path? that way you could play the recorded position backwards & forwards smoothly, plus alter playback speed as you would with cached data.

Just finished, great work :). Just about the perfect length- good story, combats, and puzzles. I thought the architecture and the scale were dead on. The architecture fit in well with the universe but also brought something new, even if it was just one location.

If I were to have any complaints, I might say there was one spot where I was looking out the window down at the trees just outside and it seemed like they were floating, but that could have just been a coincidence of the fog distance or the angle I was viewing from.

:monkey:

Glad to see you guys are enjoying it!!

looking at the blog post on your i/o work & use of scripted sequences, i'm rusty on source mapping but would it be possible instead to spawn path tracks at the player position ...

Sadly path_tracks can't be parented to a moving object, I tried it out earlier :(

A guy over at interlopers said that instead of a human NPC following the scripted_sequences I should have had an flying NPC (manhack or scanner), that would have solved the jumping problem. Seems so obvious in retrospect!

Just curious insta, did you had beta-testers before releasing this, or it's 100% a one man army thingie?

Several testers in the various phases of development! Skdr, Evert, Pericolos0, Generalvivi, Campaignjunkie, Minotauro etc. I have a group of guys I keep using as testers, and I gradually introduce them to the testing cycle, so for each new version of the map there's atleast one pair of fresh eyes on the map, along with the people that tested the earlier versions.

That was fun and dripping with immersion. I liked all the little touches in the scripting, the birds sitting there or the light that drops when

you return to the lobby.

I was very disappointed that

there were only two puzzles using the cloning and that it was heavy focused on combat, but that's just because I thought the map was focused on cloning...I don't think the map was focused on cloning!

I liked how you go backwards through the map and then also at the end see the destruction, I really liked it in fact. Reusing spaces for different purposes is awesome.

I think you had very good control over what the player does/experiences. For example, when walking down a hallway I hit a healthkit right when I needed it, also when crawling through the crawlspace I saw the dead guy in the machine when the music picked up, also there was the nook to hide in when fighting the roof guys. I didn't miss out on any 'moments' or 'opportunities.'

Combat wise, the stair battle seemed excessive, four guys ran out of a single door all in a line while I was above them. Maybe it could have been 1-2 guys and the rest when you got to the bottom of the stair. Also I think you missed an opportunity to have a battle in the courtyard after fighting the roof guys. That was a really cool area layout/architecture wise and you could have done some combat or a puzzle there.

Overall: more puzzles, and possibly you could have had a puzzle-combat part where you use the cloning to kill the enemies.

It was quite fun.

I liked it, quite short though! I did have an issue with

the second of the two puzzles though, this one:

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/7540/whoopsc.jpg

After entering the cloning machine i stood on the first pad for a few seconds, then moved to the second one. When my movements were replayed the first pad opened up the door behind the wall, and the second one activated the switch which opened the door at the end of the main room. This door then stayed open, which made me wonder what the point of the area behind the wall was as all i had to do was walk out of the room without going into that area...or did i break something?