ULTIMATE CHALLENGE: Design the MapCore logo — new deadline!

I love every one of them!

I'll work some more from where I left off based on all your criticism guys. Hopefully we can get a vote between a couple AWESOME options!

And I love the level layout as a T-shirt.... heck, I'll just print it and staple it to my chest.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like these. They're vastly different from existing entries and arguably more obscure in meaning, but the meaning is there and I do find them aesthetically pleasing — when I look at them I do think of 3D geometry and stuff. I do however think you've been too subtle with the 'M', and that the line weight on that should be considerably higher so it literally jumps out. At the moment it's quite possible to not even notice there's an 'M' there unless you're seeking it out.

Added some stroke width:

hGu6W.jpg

Basicly, I wouldn't want the M strokes to be too fat, trying to keep the whole thing even somewhat balanced visually. Making the M too fat ruins the aesthetics a bit, imo.

Last night, i worked in some lettering stuff. I believe "mapcore" is a strong name, and we can work out a good exclusive lettering to represent it. :hurg:

Mino said about the italic feature of original logo... probably i'll try something with a strong italic typeface.

=)

here last night sketches:

mapcoreSketch_01.jpg

I like the cube idea, is very functional and iconic. Its already done, so I searched other meanings of "core"

One i really liked, is the Cell Core, i mean... biology stuff, how a cell really works. It have some structures that are very interesting (graphically interesting too). The mitochondrion is another core in the cell, responsible by break sugar into energy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrion

The Cell itself is a sort of small core in an organism, and have some cores inside it.

As the forum is some sort of cell in game development. So... this is another meaning of Core that i found interesting to approach a graphical solution to Logo.

here there is illustrator stuff i made to represent the cell-like structure. The M inside a core.

mapcoreSketch_02.png

im going to work more on this idea =)... and use the lettering studies with the Symbol. Critics and comments are more than welcome ;-)

nice... just erased all my post. Ok, here we go again =D

(Defunct lettering study: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5442600/mapcore/process01.png im not going to use it any soon.... but i kind like it. For another project maybe. )

So... i built the vectors using the sketch as reference. WIth vectors done, i can test different stroke weights, to have a think or black letter is really useful :D

Here how the construction were built http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5442600/mapcore/process03.png

So, no some composition and color studies:

I wanted some letter strong enough to be used stand alone or with a symbol. Symbol can be also used alone, without the typeface. Like a stamp, mark, icon, etc etc.

mapcoreSketch_03.png

Here, Mino suggested to put the symbol into the word core, so i tested... i like the second version, but need kerning adjustment yet.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5442600/mapcore ... tch_04.png

And a version with the second version of the symbol and a lighter letters... i rather this thin version. probably im going to continue the design from this. :bananawrench:

mapcoreSketch_05.png

Added some stroke width:

hGu6W.jpg

Basicly, I wouldn't want the M strokes to be too fat, trying to keep the whole thing even somewhat balanced visually. Making the M too fat ruins the aesthetics a bit, imo.

Carve button FTW.

Btw I made the original cube graphic and I'm very hurt you are replacing it :(